Community Bands Suspending Rehearsals?

The bulk of the musical talk
MikeS
bugler
bugler

Community Bands Suspending Rehearsals?

Post by MikeS »

I am on the board of a community band. We are trying to decide whether to suspend rehearsals due to the Covid-19 outbreak. The State of Ohio has placed restrictions on gatherings of 100 or more. We usually have around 70 people at rehearsals but, like a lot of similar groups, our average age is well north of 50. We have concerts booked from late May through the end of August.

I was wondering if anyone else was wrestling with similar decisions, or having them made for them. We are just trying to do right by our members and the community. I am hoping to keep politics out of this and will respect the moderators decision if this is (or becomes) a problematic topic.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Community Bands Suspending Rehearsals?

Post by GC »

All the school systems, colleges, and many churches in my area have closed for at least a couple of weeks, so that has caused cancellations or postponements of rehearsals of just about all arts groups of any type, concerts, a brass band reading session and clinic, concert band festivals, a parade, and so on. It's disappointing, but frankly, I think it's for the best.
Last edited by GC on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Ours did, for the rehearsal a couple days ago anyway. If rehearsal is on, expect a lot of empty seats.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

One of my bands plays at assisted living homes. Over half the band is in their 80's. We have suspended practice and concerts until May 1 at witch time we will re-evaluate the situation. Another band is suspending concerts and parades as they are cancelled. If there are a significant number of players in your band that are 60 or older, the very safe answer to your question is to suspend practice for at least 30 days and re-evaluate at that time.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

We are discussing it, but when the schools close we do, too. Our schools are closed at least through next week, and I predict that will be extended.

Rick “schools are at the forefront of Quarantine Theater” Denney
The Brute Squad
bugler
bugler

Post by The Brute Squad »

There's a suggested restriction (not outright ban) of gatherings >50 in my county. The community orchestra I'm in has suspended rehearsals for the time being and postponed our concert scheduled for 4/8 to a later date.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Orchestra Grand Cup, Symphony American shank)
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

No official word here yet, but we rehearse at a Lincoln Public Schools Middle School and LPS just announced this afternoon that schools are closed next week. I don't expect a rehearsal of our Community Concert Band on Monday.
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

In Denmark gatherings of more than 100 people are forbidden, and training in sports and cultural clubs are recommended stopped as well. So, my big band and brass band do not practice or play concerts any more. It's boring, but for the best right now. All larger cultural events are cancelled too. All people that can work from home do so. It's really empty in the super market. Restaurants and bars are empty. It feels like being part in a zombie film, streets are almost empty.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

A lot of schools that are still staying open are closed to outside groups to protect students and teachers. I expect this to only expand.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Since our Comm band (Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches) rehearses in a high school band room, we can't rehearse as of today when Palm Beach County Schools announced they are closing for at least two weeks. Also, our concerts are held at area college campuses and both of them are now closed for at least two weeks. Although I really like playing and making music, the average age in our band is probably around 50 or 60. Sure don't want to be around a bunch of people breathing heavily to play... and then brass players emptying their water keys on the floor.

This COVID-19 is a real threat. There are said to be many times more cases out there than the numbers show and what they've found with the few tests they're doing. My wife and I started 'social distancing' just yesterday.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeW »

Here in Vancouver, BC (Canada) there is currently a voluntary moratorium on gatherings of more than 250 people. Frankly, our audience sizes are mostly captive and/or relative, so performances by the bands I play in would probably pass muster, but venues are closing and our membership is mostly grey-thatched (yes, that includes me, now) and naturally cautious, so we are not likely to be doing much in public for a few months (except maybe one or two well-ventilated outdoor events).

The good news is that the bands are still meeting: attendance is down a bit, but not by too much (yet), so as long as the schools/halls we rehearse in stay open (which may not last too long, they may not re-open after spring break), we will soldier on unless health warnings get more severe.

On the other hand, my seniors' execise class has closed for the duration.
=========================================
You may find this useful (from our local authority's website):

What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

Common symptoms include:
Fever.
Cough.
Tiredness.

But more serious symptoms can develop, including difficulty breathing and pneumonia.
[from news items, in Italy very roughly 1 in 15 of those infected have died, mostly in my age group - which is "not young" (ok, 70 come May). On the other hand, mild cases are probably going unreported, so the real risk is probably a whole let less than that]

What should I do if I feel sick?

Stay home. Isolate yourself and call your local public health authority. Do not visit an emergency room or urgent care centre to get tested.
[I guess this means report the virus if you have it, and quarantine yourself unless you need emergency treatment]

What about testing?
The B.C. Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) says [for BC residents] testing is currently available for people who have a history of travel to regions affected by COVID-19 and symptoms typical of an infection.

Affected areas include Mainland China, Hong Kong, Iran, Italy, Japan, Singapore and South Korea.

To find out if you can be tested, contact your health-care provider [BC residents can call HealthLink BC at 811 to talk to a nurse and get advice]. Stay away from others and do not visit a health-care provider without calling ahead.

What can I do to protect myself?
Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. Keep them clean.
[our local radio station says "wash them as if you have been cooking with chilis, and want to change your contact lenses"]
Keep your distance from people who are sick.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
Unless you're already infected, masks won't help you.
[they help stop you spreading the virus if you are sick [thank you], but you get it mostly from handling stuff that's been sneezed on/breathed on/handled by a carrier or sufferer,then touching your eyes, nose, or mouth, so masks won't do much to stop you picking it up]
Be aware of evolving travel advisories to different regions.

More detailed information on the outbreak is available on the federal government's website.

[ It is worth noting that, locally, the virus has jumped from hospital to care-home, apparently via shared admin staff. Maybe that means hospitals are worth avoiding if you are not already sick, at least while the virus is about ? ]

To quote from an old "Spanish Flu" Poster:
"Coughs and sneezes spread diseases: if you must, use a handkerchief!"
(Tony Hancock once sang this to the tune of Deutchland Uber Alles)
Last edited by MikeW on Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
Birdo
lurker
lurker

Post by Birdo »

Out of the three I’m involved with, one is suspended until things start to calm down, one is taking it week by week (but not this week) and the third, as of this posting, is still kicking but encouraging people to listen to their gut. There’s a spectrum.

Meanwhile, additional closings elsewhere has forced social distancing into my hand so Group 3 and I will be spending some apart time regardless of health. I miss everyone already.

EDIT: Well there goes the third one. They are also taking things week by week, but not this week.
Last edited by Birdo on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bone-a-phone
bugler
bugler

Post by bone-a-phone »

I play in an orchestra at a local college, and they have suspended all activity until this gets sorted. Same with a trombone choir I'm in. All classes are online, which doesn't work for ensembles. And then my trombone quartet has 2 70+ members and we like to play at nursing homes. So we're off until we can figure out a way to get together without spreading illness.
gionvil
bugler
bugler

Post by gionvil »

In Northern Italy, where I live, all band and orchestra activities, concerts and any kind of gathering have been suspended already since February 24, and unfortunately there is no sign of an end yet. We are in the middle of the fight, our region has been badly hit, and it's like living in a nightmare. My wife is teaching her flute students via Skype, and there's not much else to do than practicing at home.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Stopped here as of yesterday. The conductor of the two groups I'm in is in his 80s and has a pacemaker but is a whole lot more healthy than I am. But 60 or 70 people all blowing into instruments.....I can see the reason for holding off for a while.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

The community band nearest to me rehearses in a local school. The band's scheduling/attendance policy is based (pun intended) on the school's policy: if for any reason the school is not in session (weather, scheduled breaks, evening events requiring the band room, etc.) then the band does not meet. So if the school administration determines that the school should be closed due to the virus, then band will be cancelled for the same duration.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
finnbogi
3 valves
3 valves

Post by finnbogi »

My community band had already cancelled a concert scheduled for 31st March, but were planning to keep on rehearsing. That changed today, when a four-week ban on gatherings of more than 100 people was announced and smaller gatherings were strongly discouraged. Secondary schools and universities are suspended, but elementary schools and kindergartens will remain open for now. The National Theatre, the Iceland Symphony Orchestra and other music and theatre groups have cancelled all planned events until after Easter. Even the Church of Iceland has suspended all Sunday services, but will be broadcasting services on the internet.
Besson 981 Eb
Melton 195 BBb (Fafner)
Conn 71H bass trombone
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

It’s prudent for 70+ YO band members to avoid contact and skip rehearsals.

In MD gatherings of greater than 250 are banned.

I hope the run on grocery and hardware stores don’t exceed 250!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
WessCollette
bugler
bugler

Post by WessCollette »

The Brass Band I play with was scheduled to have a concert Sunday evening. It has been cancelled/postponed. The community wind ensemble practices on Tuesdays, but is based out of a college. It isn't closed yet, but I expect them too.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote:I may have heard that gatherings of over eight people are discouraged.

No tuba recitals are cancelled, obviously.
Are the Churhes that cancel for the same reason flattering themselves??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.