Recording myself questions...

The bulk of the musical talk
Renodoc
bugler
bugler

Re: Recording myself questions...

Post by Renodoc »

Following! I also want to know how people do the videos where they play 4-5 parts and then blend them together!
Andy Pasternak
Family Doc in the Biggest Little City
Hirsbrunner HB7
pawe2142
lurker
lurker

Post by pawe2142 »

Howdy -

For the question of how people record themselves and play 4-5 parts, check out the app "Acapella" - it records various tracks that you can put together. It is easy to record yourself on multiple videos just using the app, and it is possible to collaborate (though to make that happen, someone will have to use a paid account).
Renodoc
bugler
bugler

Post by Renodoc »

Thank you! Looks like I'll have some fun with that.
Andy Pasternak
Family Doc in the Biggest Little City
Hirsbrunner HB7
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

The problem is, this thread is from 2013. From a technology standpoint, it might as well be cave drawings. I don't mind seeing a discussion on this.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Post by peterbas »

Deleted
Last edited by peterbas on Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WessCollette
bugler
bugler

Post by WessCollette »

bloke wrote:I, for one, am really eager to pull out my Schafer tuba and record a Tyrell study and stick it on fb - to show everyone how it goes. :|
I will be looking for it.
mjrctuba
bugler
bugler

Post by mjrctuba »

The answer to this question really depends on how much you are willing to spend and the options are infinite. However, mic placement can make a difference regardless of what you're using for a microphone.
Experiment with how far away you place your microphone. Place the microphone so that it is facing the center of your bell. The louder you are playing, the further away you want to place it. There will be a sweet spot that gets just the right mix of sound directly from your horn and reverberation from your room. The nicer the room sounds, the more of that you will want in the mix.
The other consideration is noise. Also, listen for things like furnace noise, a computer fan, or buzzing lights. If the room is noisy, you'll want to get more sound straight from the horn.
If you have valve clatter, you might have to have the mic practically inside the bell. There are some mics designed to be placed there, but those are meant for stage use. When recording brass (especially the tuba), I like to start with the mic about a foot (30 centimeters) above the center of the bell and then move it further and closer until I find the sweet spot.
Good luck.
Michael R. Cavitt
President, KentuckyJam.org
Tuba: Ohio Military Band, Cincinnati Civic Orchestra, Vereins-Musikanten
http://www.kentuckyjam.org" target="_blank
http://www.tubadad.com" target="_blank