USB-C Microphone for Android Smartphone?

The bulk of the musical talk
Diego A. Stine
bugler
bugler

USB-C Microphone for Android Smartphone?

Post by Diego A. Stine »

What experience have you Android users had with USB-C microphones that plug into a phone? Any in particular that are good for tuba?
Diego Stine
Gronitz PCK
B&S 3099/W/2
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Re: USB-C Microphone for Android Smartphone?

Post by anotherjtm2 »

If you had an iPhone (even an old iPhone 5S), I'd recommend the Shure MV88. You'd think they would have the same mic with USB or USB-C connection, but the MV88+ (for USB-C) seems to only come in a bundle for $100 more. It still might be great, but it's not quite as easy to recommend as the cheaper iPhone version.
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
j1007hc
bugler
bugler

Post by j1007hc »

Another bump for the Shure MV88 and MV88+. The non plus version is only for Apple (lightning connecter), and the MV88+ comes with usbc and lightning cables as well as a nifty phone stand. I have both, and I've used them to record my middle school orchestra as well as my all-state level private tuba students, all to great result!

jh
Johnathan Hsu
johnathanchsu@gmail.com" target="_blank
Tubainsauga

Post by Tubainsauga »

I’m glad to hear the MV88+ works well for music. I’ve been looking for a microphone to do quick videos for my brass quintet as well as something better, but simple for Zoom lessons.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

The audio from phone videos really is surprisingly good, if the listen-back is done through good headphones. That’s(or maybe iPad) all Chris Olka uses for his horn trials and tips videos. For some reason, the video function always sounds better than voice memo. iPhone user.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
SWE
bugler
bugler

Post by SWE »

I've used an AT 2020 USB with a USB to USB-C adapter into the phone jack while recording video. I think the AT 2020 is a great mic for the price, and works well with tuba. I've used it for close-mic as well as room mic and as long as you don't clip it just works.
michael_moreno
lurker
lurker

Post by michael_moreno »

I used the AKG Lyra, which is a USB-C condenser microphone that works well with Android phones. It consists of four capsules and offers different sound capture modes such as front, front + back, tight stereo, and wide stereo. You can use any option depending on your use case.
Importantly, too, it features a 3.5mm headphone jack with zero latency for monitoring audio while recording.
It's a simple plug-and-play microphone. In addition to Android, it works with iOS, Windows, and Mac devices.
I used to think that my mind was enough to write my essay, now I realize I need books