basic servicing that brass players should be able to do

The bulk of the musical talk
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Re: basic servicing that brass players should be able to do

Post by pjv »

Milk? Did they also have to bless it in chicken blood?

But seriously; they didn't know how to replace a broken rotary string? Talk about lazy.
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I was the Electrician one would call to their house or business to build or repair things, Retired. I can work on a lot of things in the 3D world. But time is not something that I have a lot of. And trouble shooting, i.e. the act of figuring out what is the problem is, is time consuming. I am lucky enough to be able to pay those who are smarter then me to find and then fix the problems on anything I do not want to spend time on so that I may spend what little time I have left, at the age of 69, on other problems that I need to fix or on the many things I want to do. I have done for others my whole life. Now it is time for me. I let my local music shops deal with my instruments if I cannot fix it in five minutes.

And work done with out a permit is not cover by you home owners insurance,
CCC
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

A new AC unit will probably be much quieter and give you lower monthly electric bills.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Charlie C Chowder wrote:And work done with out a permit is not cover by you home owners insurance,
CCC
How will they know? I bought my house, had it inspected by a home inspector, but neither of us studied the permits issued down at the County to determine what in the house was or was not an unpermitted improvement. And neither did my State Farm agent when he underwrote the policy, nor did the adjuster on the one occasion when we made a claim.

What they will look for is evidence of not being up to code. But they have no answer if I say--hey, it was here when I moved in, BEFORE you guys agreed to insure the house.

That said, all work done on this house is absolutely up to code, and a whole lot of what was here when I moved in wasn't (it is now).

Rick "who has designed traffic signals for 40 years and is a member of IEEE" Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

sweaty wrote:A new AC unit will probably be much quieter and give you lower monthly electric bills.
When I bought a new system, I spent a year with the system failing because they didn't solder the refrigerant line correctly and the compressor lost lube. They put in a soft start (not the problem) and did several other things before just replacing the outside compressor as they should have done from the start. They say they did all those things to make sure Carrier was happy so they would warranty the part, but the replacement occurred when I started asking them the address where I should have the lawsuit served.

And Puron is more efficient than R-22? Uh, no. The system may be more efficient, but that isn't necessarily so. My brand-new Carrier system was no cheaper to run in the summer than my previous worn-out Ruud. It was cheaper in the winter, because I bought a hybrid heat-pump system that runs except when really cold, and preserves (expensive!) propane.

Now, the evaporator arrangement on the inside was installed much better than the previous system, which was screwed up in a variety of ways. That didn't make it more efficient in dollars to run it, but it sure did make it more serviceable and reliable.

Rick "the old system had an A coil, upside down, upstream from the filters and air handler--sheesh" Denney
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I like how the OP himself has gone off topic (again)
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

pjv wrote:I like how the OP himself has gone off topic (again)
No problem, I'll bring it back on topic with a quote from a sci fi writer some of you would know:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Hey I was not saying don't do the work. In fact I encourage DYI. But anything major and new, Please Permit. The insurance people are not in the business to pay out. No permit is an excuse not to pay, no matter how good the job was done.

CCC
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bloke wrote:discuss...

I got new all season wipers yesterday at AutoZone ( my driver side one was fraying a tad at the tip) and had him put them on ...as he was wearing gloves ( we both had masks on)...
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

Mark Finley wrote:
timothy42b wrote:
pjv wrote:I like how the OP himself has gone off topic (again)
No problem, I'll bring it back on topic with a quote from a sci fi writer some of you would know:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein
sounds like a Ron Swanson quote
Wait, Ron Swanson wrote sci fi? (googles) Ah, didn't know who that was, but there were some cute quotes on this page:

https://parade.com/681247/lindsaylowe/h ... ecreation/" target="_blank