Martin low brass database: Request for images

The bulk of the musical talk
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Martin low brass database: Request for images

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

I also posted this on the tuba/euph Facebook page, but figured I'd post here as well:

To anyone with a Martin tuba or euphonium: I'm working on putting together a visual database of Martin low brass instruments (similar to the Conn loyalist) I know something like that exists for Martin trumpets: https://thebrasscellar.com/martin-database/" target="_blank but I think it wold be helpful to create something similar for tubas as well. However, I don't want to use any images without proper permission. So, If you have a Martin tuba or baritone/euphonium that you wouldn't mind me using images of for the database, please PM me or comment here, with some detailed images of your instrument, and the year of manufacture. Hopefully, I'll eventually be able to compile enough to make this available to the public in the form of a website, and if that happens, I'd be happy to list photo credits on the site if you wish. Thanks!
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men"

It's that word "handcraft"...
marking
bugler
bugler

Re: Martin low brass database: Request for images

Post by marking »

1916 Martin 3+1 Eb. "USN" engraved on bell.
I can get more pictures and info if wish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Feel free to grab any from my helicon thread (link is in my signature). Let me know what else you need!
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Are you including strictly Martin-branded instruments, or including the second-line Indiana Band Instrument Company horns, too? My sousaphone is the latter...
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

WC8KCY wrote:Are you including strictly Martin-branded instruments, or including the second-line Indiana Band Instrument Company horns, too? My sousaphone is the latter...
Yep, I'm collecting examples of Indiana branded horns too since they were all made in the Martin factory alongside everything else, so you're sousaphone is welcome in the database.

SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

marking wrote:1916 Martin 3+1 Eb. "USN" engraved on bell.
I can get more pictures and info if wish.
Thanks for the contribution. Nice looking horn. I should probably also post what images and info I'm looking for on each instrument as well. Ideally, I'd like to be able to record:
-At least one overall shot of the instrument
-a picture of the engraving
-a picture where the valve caps and finger buttons are visible in detail
-a serial number and/or (if one is not comfortable sharing that) an approximate year of manufacture
-Any specs if readily available (bell/bore size, etc)
-if in the rare occasion that your horn has an original case, pictures of that would be awesome too

If all this is not readily available or is too inconvenient to collect, no worries, I'm just describing an ideal situation.

I'd be happy to give photo credits by name to anyone who contributes if this is ever published, or one can choose to remain anonymous if they wish as well.

SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Tubajug wrote:Feel free to grab any from my helicon thread (link is in my signature). Let me know what else you need!
Thanks! Looks like there's plenty here for me to use, if I need anything else I'll let you know.

SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

hrender wrote:I have a few pix of my Martin here. I’ve had some of the dents removed since then, so I’ll try to get some better ones.
Looks magnificent! These will work just fine, thanks! Do you know when this one was made? I'd ballpark it at late 30s just looking at it, maybe '38 or '39?

WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Here's the one pic I have handy of my 1937 Indiana E-flat sousaphone. The Conn neck pictured here is not correct for this instrument.
Sousaphone small.jpg
More to come.

I must admit that the raw brass look has grown on me. The tuba resides in my living room and gets a wipedown with Lemon Pledge whenever I tidy up the place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

I'll put up some pictures of my Martin fiberglass tuba, though it blushes with embarrassment at its current unphotogenic appearance.

Rick "on the to-do list" Denney
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Rick Denney wrote:I'll put up some pictures of my Martin fiberglass tuba, though it blushes with embarrassment at its current unphotogenic appearance.

As the owner of an all-brass version of this horn (branded Indiana), I've always been mesmerized by the fiberglass variant and have always wanted to see how they play. I've heard great things. Look forward to seeing it!

Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

SousaWarrior9 wrote:
Rick Denney wrote:I'll put up some pictures of my Martin fiberglass tuba, though it blushes with embarrassment at its current unphotogenic appearance.

As the owner of an all-brass version of this horn (branded Indiana), I've always been mesmerized by the fiberglass variant and have always wanted to see how they play. I've heard great things. Look forward to seeing it!
Actually, I can answer how they play--really quite well. Intonation is not perfect, and they are also limited to three valves. But they are easy to play and have a nice, warm sound. I find the similarities between the Martin and my new Eastman EBB534 (King 2341 style instrument) to be striking. In fact, I suspect a valve body from a King or Clone would be very easy to adapt to the Martin. The outer branches have that characteristically American Monster Eb shape to them. (Now I want to run upstairs and see if the Martin would fit in the ABS case that came with the Eastman as a test of shape, but maybe later.)

The Martin has the usual Martin adjustable bits with thumbscrews, and mine has an added tubing stick to help with those 1-3 and 1-2-3 combinations. And it's held together with hose clamps at the moment, and in serious need of some properly applied epoxy. For me it could be the ultimate outdoor tuba, or tuba to throw in the RV, or standing-gig instrument when I want a Bb instead of my usual standing-gig tuba (which is a Yamaha 621 F tuba).

Rick "film at 11" Denney
williamp
bugler
bugler

Post by williamp »

You may not want to include this, as it is a custom job my Martin Wilk using a Martin bell and outer wrap and a Buescher valve set.

Still, some Martin fans might find it interesting.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5QWb ... ZRd2Jldklj" target="_blank
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

williamp wrote:You may not want to include this, as it is a custom job my Martin Wilk using a Martin bell and outer wrap and a Buescher valve set.

Still, some Martin fans might find it interesting.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5QWb ... ZRd2Jldklj" target="_blank" target="_blank
I won't I include frankentubas in the database, but it is seriously cool to look at and I thank you for sharing. Very neat.

Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

YORK-aholic wrote:
Rick Denney wrote:(Now I want to run upstairs and see if the Martin would fit in the ABS case that came with the Eastman as a test of shape, but maybe later.)
Rick "film at 11" Denney
Rick, I recently sold an all brass version of your fiberglass Martin. The body was noticeably shorter than a King 1241 when put in its case and a tad wider. It still fit in a 1241 case though...
1241's and old-style 2341's were tall. I'm talking about the new-style 2341, which reportedly uses an Eb bell and bottom bow and is only 34 or 35 inches tall, if that. I'll make photos of them side-by-side.

Rick "has the day off tomorrow" Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Here are images of my Martin fiberglass tuba, probably a fairly rare survivor of what was assuredly a tough public-school life. This particular instrument was used by Leonard Jung during his advanced retirement, playing in a community band, when he needed something light and compact that he could physically handle.

The model number is TB-31, from the 60's. it's about the same size as a new-style King 2341, with a large bell and short stature. Here it is in the hard case for an Eastman EBB-534 (a 2341 lookalike), and there's about an inch of empty at the bottom bow (the case is made for a range of instruments, and has a LOT of padding around the bottom bow).

Here's the catalog page that describes it:

And the price list that was dated November 1, 1963. It's listed on the bottom row, at a price of $750. My impression and memory suggests that this wasn't really all that cheap in 1963, but my memory doesn't have many data points:

Back side:

Outer branch (held together with hose clamps--all the braces have come apart):

And some of those loose braces:

The valve body seems to me straight off a sousaphone:

The typical (and excellent) Martin adjustable bits, easily locked securely in place with thumbscrew clamps:

Finally, here it is side-by-side with the Eastman EBB-534, which is about an inch taller but otherwise very similar. They have quite similar playing characteristics, noted by a warm, round tone and easy response. The Martin's bore is only slightly smaller than the Eastman. But the three valve limitation means that it needs that homemade tuning stick:

Rick "sorry for the crappy iPhone pics" Denney
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Wow Rick, that is one cool horn! I knew they offered fixed upright bells as an option on these but I've never actually seen one before. Thanks so much for sharing this rare bird, its much appreciated. And, no, I don't mind the "crappy iPhone pics" they're just fine. I highly doubt you would, but if you ever decide you may want to part with it, do please give me a call :lol:

SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Post by SousaWarrior9 »

Just in case anyone missed it on the first go-around, I wanted to bring up another opportunity for any Martin owners/aficionados to contribute photos and information.
Appreciate all the examples that have been so generously provided so far, Keep e'm coming! :tuba:

largobone
bugler
bugler

Post by largobone »

Seems unlikely at this point, but did the database ever get made? Seems like a great idea and it would really come in handy for me right now!
MM DePaul University
bass trombone, Evanston Symphony
trombone, Ohio Light Opera
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Back in 1932 my father purchased a second-hand Martin tuba after having it checked out by Luke DelNegro. It was made in 1927 and resembled the TB-29 pictured in Rick's catalog page, but without the adjustable bits. He used it for about 60 years, and it was well-worn when I inherited it. I sold the original valve section, pictured below, and replaced it with one made by Nirschl. I also gave it an upright bell from a Beuscher helicon, and used it in concert bands for about 20 years until it started to feel too heavy for me. The original valve section appears to be identical to the one on Rick's fiberglass model.

https://app.box.com/file/783327490387
https://app.box.com/file/783327556117

(Wish I could figure out why my photos are not showing.)