The bulk of the musical talk
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Stofer Air Corps opinion

Post by bort »

https://tubameister.com/mouthpieces/

Who has tried it? What did you think?

I always loved the Geib mouthpiece rim, size, and shape, except that the throat was always just so dang narrow. It seemed especially problematic on the original Conn Geib that I had in my possession for a while. That mouthpiece sounded AMAZING was a true gem to play... but only up to mezzo forte. Anything more was just not up to modern tuba mouthpiece expectations. It could be done, certainly, but took a lot of unlearning and relearning about how to blow more air and what the mouthpiece would respond to... and I wasn't looking to do all that.

I think that I'm one of the people Mr. Stofer is mentioning, who complained about liking his original Stofer Geib but wanting a larger throat. I actually have a similar Geib+ on order from another mouthpiece maker (whoops, forgot about the Air Corps when I ordered the new one...) and have high hopes about it.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions formed about the Air Corps from Mr. Stofer.

Thanks!
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Stofer Air Corps opinion

Post by cjk »

I never tried the Air Corps thing.

The Conn had an 8mm throat (probably .316", the size of an "O" drill bit).

The next reasonable step up would be 8.2 mm ( .323" / the size of a "P" drill bit). I'd *guess* that's what the Air Corps thing measures.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Since the B&S Neptune can be a real 'air hog', I think the bigger throat wouldn't work so well on it. I'd like to try one, but so few exotic m.p.'s make it out here on the left coast.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

barry grrr-ero wrote:Since the B&S Neptune can be a real 'air hog', I think the bigger throat wouldn't work so well on it. I'd like to try one, but so few exotic m.p.'s make it out here on the left coast.
I bought a Rudolph Meinl RM9 from Lee Stofer several years ago because he thought it might be helpful to me on the high notes in Brahm's Requiem. In rehearsals I had hit a couple of clams (I had no F tuba and was using my MW 2145 CC with a PT50 mouthpiece). The RM 9 recommendation paid off. No more clams in three public performances and a private label recording session, all in the space of three days. The RM9 mouthpiece was a bit "exotic" for me, but proved its worth. Lee's advice was good.

Ace
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

cjk wrote:I never tried the Air Corps thing.

The Conn had an 8mm throat (probably .316", the size of an "O" drill bit).

The next reasonable step up would be 8.2 mm ( .323" / the size of a "P" drill bit). I'd *guess* that's what the Air Corps thing measures.
My previous statement was not 100% accurate.
I sold the Conn so I couldn't measure it and was working from memory. I realized that I do have a couple Stofer Geibs which I then measured.
The Stofer Geib's throat is actually 7.9375mm / .3125", basically 5/16" drill bit sized. Very slightly smaller than an "O".
I would still assume (perhaps wrongly) that the Air Corps is .323" as the difference between .3125" and .316" is very very small.