Tuba players with stage presence

The bulk of the musical talk
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Tuba players with stage presence

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

tofu wrote:How in the heck has Roger Bobo not been listed? Look up stage presence and you ought to see a photo of Bobo.

As a solo artist you forgot you were listening to a tuba player and instead you reveled in the pure artistry. Many tuba players seem very uncomfortable out front or for that matter even taking a bow in the back row. Roger never apologized for being there. He owned the floor like Heifetz and you knew you were in the presence of an artist. I see so many tuba players play to the "we're a clown" with buffoonery & the obligatory fart sounds in whatever piece they are performing. Some of them apologize before they even start playing.

When Roger did things like the Tonight Show he not only was able to easily converse with Johnny & Doc and the band, but he also could connect so well with an audience. He simply owned the stage.

I think nobody has ever better represented us as musicians capable of performing to the highest musical standards and at the same time do it with charisma. Bobo live performances were not to be missed & I miss hearing Roger play live.
+1
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

Pat Sheridan
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

russiantuba wrote:Amir "Tubad" Gray has amazing presence. While in Chicago, he danced and played. He currently plays tuba (and trumpet) in NOLA. Check him out!
This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. Thank you!
Nick