Weril 3/4 CC or other small CCs?

The bulk of the musical talk
glangfur
bugler
bugler

Weril 3/4 CC or other small CCs?

Post by glangfur »

Hello everyone, I'm a bass trombone player posting here for the first time...

I've started practicing tuba lately, and I'm having a blast. Not surprisingly, I find that smaller is better for me, and as I shop around for a small tuba for myself, I'm intrigued by all the positive comments I see about the little Weril.

I've searched the old tubenet and seen a positive review (from Joe Sellmansberger I think?) Anybody else have any comments? Any other small horns to recommend?

I've been practicing a part for a doubling show, and it's pretty extreme in the low register (on both instruments!), with moving lines down to low E and Eb and even pedal C, and some very exposed pedal Cs (which is why I'm looking into C tubas rather than BBb or EEb). I practice down there on bass trombone all the time, so I have plenty of focus to get the notes out on small tuba equipment, but how does the 4-valve Weril do in that register? Are the slides easy enough to get to?

Thanks,
Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Sympony

Lecturer of Bass Trombone, Boston University
Guest Artist/Teacher in Trombone, U of RI

S. E. Shires Co.
gabe@seshires.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
Mudman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mudman »

Gabe,

I'm a professional bass trombone player who just picked up tuba this year. It is a blast!

I have not tried a Weril, but just bought a Miraphone 184-5U CC tuba. It's a 3/4 size instrument with a fairly large bore. If you can find one of these used, buy it! The old tuba teacher at Iowa described it as the perfect quintet horn. Very easy to get around on, and you can crank in the low register.

The Werils are very inexpensive and offer a good bang for the buck. Joe Sellmansberger of Mid South Music in Memphis sells them. I think you can buy a new one with a case for a little less than $2000. That's cheap compared to a good used Miraphone.
glangfur
bugler
bugler

Post by glangfur »

Thanks Mudman, I've also been looking at a used 184 that Dave Fedderly has.

Any other opinions? How about the Conn 3J? Anybody selling one of those?
Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Sympony

Lecturer of Bass Trombone, Boston University
Guest Artist/Teacher in Trombone, U of RI

S. E. Shires Co.
gabe@seshires.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Weril Slides

Post by Art Hovey »

I have a Weril BBb, but the CC version is very similar. The first valve slide on top has a nice pull-ring, but is almost too short to be useful for much. The second valve slide also has pull-ring on top, and I am finding it more and more useful. The third slide is comfortably accessible, but I have not felt a need for manipulating it. Unfortunately, the 4th valve tubing has a slide only at the bottom. The designers really missed the boat there.
For a small tuba it does surprisingly well in the low register, and I think it would be ideal for someone with bass-trombone chops.
CJ Krause
4 valves
4 valves

Post by CJ Krause »

Last edited by CJ Krause on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ContraDude
bugler
bugler

Post by ContraDude »

I am a real tubist (mostly, refer to name) and I have a little Weril 3/4 CC horn for ensemble work. I like it alot, even though it's a student horn. It seems to have a pretty good range, it's pedals are decent, and I like it overall. Sure it could be better, but I got mine for $900 because of a dent in the bottom. I'd like to see a $900 tuba that could take on my weril :lol: . Anyway, the Weril would be a good horn to switch to since you are going from bass 'bone to tuba (I am trying to go the other way, just to play with jazz band). That Miraphone sounds like a good horn also (I have personal experience with 186's and 188's and I like them). Just go and try out the tuba before you buy it. Every horn is slightly different, so don't jump at the first horn you see. well... good luck on your instrument hunt.

C.P.
Contrabass Buglist/ Tubist
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

The Werils are a good deal in either BBb or CC. My experiences with playing and selling both new and used ones has been good.

Josef Lidl has made a couple of CC-versions of their 3/4 BBb tuba. Called the LCB-702, this potent little CC tuba is a little smaller than a Mirafone 184 but has a larger bell flare, and has very similar construction qualities. Bruce Vrieland of the north Atlanta has one of the CC's, and likes having a tuba in hard case that he can strap onto his Honda Gold Wing and take to rehearsals/gigs! The Lidl CC tubas are modestly priced, and sound quite good. I think they are a step up from the Werils, but don't cost too much more.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.