F Tuba Mouthpiece Suggestions

The bulk of the musical talk
Triggerfish
bugler
bugler

F Tuba Mouthpiece Suggestions

Post by Triggerfish »

I currently use a PT 65 on my PT 15 and I'm looking for something with a sharper inner rim and perhaps a darker tone, does anyone have any suggestions for such a mouthpiece?
olaness1
bugler
bugler

Re: F Tuba Mouthpiece Suggestions

Post by olaness1 »

PT-64, Helleberg 7B and AMH Paul all fit that description with roughly similar rim width to the PT-65, though they are different in character to one another. If you feel a little more flush, you might fancy trying a Doug Elliott mouthpiece, I quite like the P cup for a dark but round and gentle tone on my Symphonie (not a million miles away from a PT-15), and his standard shape 126 size rim is in the same ballpark size-wise, but a little sharper (though not all that sharp, certainly not lip-bruisingly sharp like some of the Schilke mouthpieces).

O
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

RT-64

Post by Robert Tucci »

Dear Triggerfish,

Two years ago I revised the venerable "64" into a contemporary style. The RT-65 retains the popular semi-cushion rim, the revised RT-64 rim is narrower with a well-defined "sharper" inner edge. The backbore was reworked to provide excellent extended range response and endurance. Coming from the 65, this would be a good choice for your Modell Symphonie. Depending on the receiver, the RT-64S (smaller American shank) would open up the sound.

For a much darker orchestral sound, the RT-40 would be the choice. Here again: 32.0mm cup diameter and a narrower rim as above.

Bob Tucci
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Roger Lewis »

I loaned my JBL Classic to Gene Pokorney so he could spend some time with it. He was amazed with how one of my mouthpieces lit up his Miraphone Firebird. It was a Bruno Tilz M2 and it is what I use. Also try the Miraphone Rose Solo TU27.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

olaness1 wrote:PT-64, Helleberg 7B and AMH Paul all fit that description with roughly similar rim width to the PT-65, though they are different in character to one another.
A Faxx fhb 7B came in the mail earlier this week, and so far it meets or exceeds the original in every way, and very nicely finished, notwithstanding the modest price. I use it on an Eb tuba.
hockeyched
bugler
bugler

Post by hockeyched »

I had the same issues and the rt 64 has a nice defined inner rim, and gets a lot of pop, I just got a 64s and gets a little less pop, and possible a little darker tone. I also have a AT 7 which almost gives the f tuba a small cc tuba sound which is nice for certain rep/ensembles. Just some things to check out. Good luck!
-Josh Davis
Ball State University DA in progress.
lownotes
lurker
lurker

Post by lownotes »

Try a Perantucci 64. I bought a B and S F tuba in Markneukirchen and it came with a 65, but the 64 feels and sounds much better to me.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

I like the Mirafone TU11. Although, my new tuba (Miraphone Elektra 481) came with a TU28, that seems to work pretty well.
E. Green
bugler
bugler

Post by E. Green »

The RT-64 really works well, has a clearly-defined inner edge on the rim and has good response over a wide range.
Buddy Rogers Music has this, also Professor Mouthpiece and the Canadian Brass Store.

Eugene
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

F Tuba Mouthpieces

Post by Robert Tucci »

Many thanks to contributors to this thread, particularly to those who use and comment on mouthpieces of my manufacture. Having followed a multitude of internet performances and presentations and the sound one often hears, the time came to develop another mouthpiece. This is finished, named the RT-62. Note: this is not similar to the PT-62 which dates back over forty years. The new RT-62 has an inside diameter of 32.50mm, wider than the tried, proven and successful RT-64 or RT-65. The rim is similar to the revised RT-64, narrow and safely rounded, throat bore is 7.80mm, shank is standard American (RT "S").

The objective was to offer a mouthpiece with a sound in the direction of the above mentioned digital presentations. In short, very clear center, tending bright and appropriate for microphone recording. Once the advanced development stage was reached and after some further adjustments it was possible to clear up low register response problems some players have on larrge-bore rotary valve instruments. A stock "B & S" PT-10 was used, the low register was never clearer or more stable.

Short commercial. Together with our front runners, the RT-40, RT-64, RT-65, the Andreas Martin Hofmeir "Paul", the Canadian Brass Heritage Series MB-64 and now the RT-62, we present "The World's Finest F-Tuba Sextet.".

Shipping to our U.S. dealers commences next week; we look forward to your response and evaluations.

Bob Tucci