Gebr. Alexander Baritone/Tenor Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

Gebr. Alexander Baritone/Tenor Tuba

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

Anyone here have any experiences with Alexander baritone/tenor tubas old or new? They look like a treat to play.

Gaze and admire the Gebr. Alexander 151 model below!

williamp
bugler
bugler

Re: Gebr. Alexander Baritone/Tenor Tuba

Post by williamp »

I have this old one. It takes a large shank mouthpiece. I don't play it as much as I should.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jPVaj3 ... sp=sharing" target="_blank
Matt Good
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Matt Good »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aP7PHz ... sp=sharing

For comparison, the horn on the left is a MW 45SLZ.
Matt Good
Principal Tuba
Dallas Symphony Orchestra
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

Mr Good, that looks like a fairly new horn! How does it play?
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

There is also the Miraphone 56 A (4 valves, with possibility for a 5th valve), considered a fine instrument, but I had never possibility to try one, so I cant say.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Matt Good wrote:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aP7PHz ... sp=sharing

It's like an infant tuba. :tuba:
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I would love to get my hands on one of those!
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

KiltieTuba wrote:Here's another Alexander:

That's a lovely horn. I'm a beginner on the euphonium/baritone but have plenty of experience playing trumpet, french horn and alto horn. I used to play a bit of trombone so I'm pretty familiar with the mouthpiece size. I'm thinking of getting a very decent instrument to keep and admire; how does this Alex 151 play? (response, playability and etc)
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

A few years ago I had the chance to playtest one of these at the Alexander factory in Mainz. I formerly had played the Miraphone 56A for some years. That Miraphone is a very solid instrument with a nice sound and rather "easy blowing". I really loved to play it. In the seventies and eighties it was rather popular in some European countries, because in the opinion of a lot of people it offered better quality than most of the euphoniums of that era.

The Alexander 151 surprised me, it was a real treat to play it for about one hour: all hand-made it was very light, unbelievable "easy blowing"(you could play it with your nose, as we say over here), the low register sounded like an F-tuba and it MADE you sing in the high register (it almost pushed me to exaggeration).
Yes, intonation would take some time, but it was maneagable through embouchure alone (without triggers) and thus a question of getting used to the instrument. And, as is the case with the Miraphone, it does not win a prize for ergonomics.
They offered me a bare brass one with 5 valves (no triggers, no case) for around 5700 Euro. But soon I had the chance to buy a used Miraphone 1258A, the euphonium of my preference, for far less money. So, I let the Alexander where it was, waiting for someone else.....
Hubert
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

hubert wrote:A few years ago I had the chance to playtest one of these at the Alexander factory in Mainz. I formerly had played the Miraphone 56A for some years. That Miraphone is a very solid instrument with a nice sound and rather "easy blowing". I really loved to play it. In the seventies and eighties it was rather popular in some European countries, because in the opinion of a lot of people it offered better quality than most of the euphoniums of that era.

The Alexander 151 surprised me, it was a real treat to play it for about one hour: all hand-made it was very light, unbelievable "easy blowing"(you could play it with your nose, as we say over here), the low register sounded like an F-tuba and it MADE you sing in the high register (it almost pushed me to exaggeration).
Yes, intonation would take some time, but it was maneagable through embouchure alone (without triggers) and thus a question of getting used to the instrument. And, as is the case with the Miraphone, it does not win a prize for ergonomics.
They offered me a bare brass one with 5 valves (no triggers, no case) for around 5700 Euro. But soon I had the chance to buy a used Miraphone 1258A, the euphonium of my preference, for far less money. So, I let the Alexander where it was, waiting for someone else.....
Hubert
Wow, it sounds like that the Alex 151 is truly a fantastic instrument. I had the pleasure of visiting the factory showroom myself in Mainz but in my case, it was for my French horn selection! I had a lovely time there trying out a bunch of horns and dreaming about the Alexander instruments on display. :mrgreen:
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

The 151 has been one of the go-to instruments for orchestra pros who are subjected to Pictures at an Exhibition without the option. There were never very many of these, and any example that was thought to be good is held by its owner with some tenacity, simply because it's so good at that one thing.

As for me, I love the concept of a large-bore euphonium built like a tuba, but I've never had the chance to try out the Alex. I have seen one up close--in the studio of an orchestra pro--and that one came with a story. But it was not for sale.

My synopsis of all I've heard about the Alex 151 over the years: If you are a euphonium player and want a euphonium, this will be...weird. You'll probably prefer your regular axe. If you are a tuba player, and want a tenor tuba, the 151 veritably defines the category.

Rick "you have to really want one to get one" Denney
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

Rick Denney wrote:The 151 has been one of the go-to instruments for orchestra pros who are subjected to Pictures at an Exhibition without the option. There were never very many of these, and any example that was thought to be good is held by its owner with some tenacity, simply because it's so good at that one thing.

As for me, I love the concept of a large-bore euphonium built like a tuba, but I've never had the chance to try out the Alex. I have seen one up close--in the studio of an orchestra pro--and that one came with a story. But it was not for sale.

My synopsis of all I've heard about the Alex 151 over the years: If you are a euphonium player and want a euphonium, this will be...weird. You'll probably prefer your regular axe. If you are a tuba player, and want a tenor tuba, the 151 veritably defines the category.

Rick "you have to really want one to get one" Denney
Hi Rick, thanks for the input. I've never really played the euphonium properly so I suppose I could start straight away on the Alex? I could probably adjust to it, if I buy it as my first horn. I rarely see one secondhand (all the owners love theirs??) therefore will need to start saving for a new one.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

KiltieTuba wrote: This is an infant tuba:

What is that? It looks a whole lot like a tiny B&S F tuba.
Last edited by cjk on Wed May 27, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

I have played several of these, including the one on Roger Bobo's page, and the one Tommy Johnson had. These are INCREDIBLE instruments; HOWEVER (isn't there always a however?), they play completely differently than the modern euphonium. They are not as open and freeblowing as we have gotten used to on the state-of-the-art, 12-inch (or even 11 - 11 1/2") bell most players are playing these days. The sound is WONDERFUL on these instruments; the valves as fast as can be. A couple of things: 1 - they don't really blend in a section of 3+1 comp euphoniums; the sound is too different. 2 - Intonation, the intonation on these is different than the 3+1 horns we play today, workable, but needs some "in the saddle" time. A tuning jigger is a must; as it has TUBA intonation. 3 - Low range; FUGGEDABOUDIT! The "Tritone of Death" is all but unuseable. Pedal Bb on down to pedal F is good, but right above the Pedal Bb, Unh-uh. PERFECT Bydlo horn! Having said all that, if I were a full time euphonium player, I DEFINITELY would have one of these. It wouldn't be my only euphonium. In orchestra, for solos and brass ensemble, these are unparalleled. Hope this helps!
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

TheAltoHornGuy wrote:Hi Rick, thanks for the input. I've never really played the euphonium properly so I suppose I could start straight away on the Alex? I could probably adjust to it, if I buy it as my first horn. I rarely see one secondhand (all the owners love theirs??) therefore will need to start saving for a new one.
Tony's observation confirms my own summary. I would restate your first sentence as: "I've never really played the euphonium, and after playing the Alex 151, I still will have never really played the euphonium."

And what Tony writes reinforces Blokes analogy, but I would restate that, too: The Alex 151 is to the euphonium what the Alex F is to bass tubas. Different from anything else and demanding of the player in several ways (how it's blown, how intonation is managed), but rewarding effort and talent with a uniquely wonderful sound. As a second-rate amateur, I interpret that to mean: Stay away, if the objective is an instrument used for performance with a group. (For a hobbyist's practice-room collection, no justification is required, of course.) That said, I routinely play a B&S F tuba that has been similarly described, so I suppose even second-rate amateurs can figure it out. But I have to play that F tuba during every practice session to sustain my understanding of it.

Rick "whose Besson euphonium already gets played too rarely" Denney
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

Rick Denney wrote:
TheAltoHornGuy wrote:Hi Rick, thanks for the input. I've never really played the euphonium properly so I suppose I could start straight away on the Alex? I could probably adjust to it, if I buy it as my first horn. I rarely see one secondhand (all the owners love theirs??) therefore will need to start saving for a new one.
Tony's observation confirms my own summary. I would restate your first sentence as: "I've never really played the euphonium, and after playing the Alex 151, I still will have never really played the euphonium."

And what Tony writes reinforces Blokes analogy, but I would restate that, too: The Alex 151 is to the euphonium what the Alex F is to bass tubas. Different from anything else and demanding of the player in several ways (how it's blown, how intonation is managed), but rewarding effort and talent with a uniquely wonderful sound. As a second-rate amateur, I interpret that to mean: Stay away, if the objective is an instrument used for performance with a group. (For a hobbyist's practice-room collection, no justification is required, of course.) That said, I routinely play a B&S F tuba that has been similarly described, so I suppose even second-rate amateurs can figure it out. But I have to play that F tuba during every practice session to sustain my understanding of it.

Rick "whose Besson euphonium already gets played too rarely" Denney
I am interested in performing works such as Hindemith; do you think it would be a suitable solo horn? As a horn player, intonation issues aren't very new to me. :mrgreen:
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

TheAltoHornGuy wrote:I am interested in performing works such as Hindemith; do you think it would be a suitable solo horn? As a horn player, intonation issues aren't very new to me. :mrgreen:
Which Hindemith? The Tuba Sonata will be a struggle on a euphonium, especially one with a low register that requires a particular approach.

Rick "not familiar with other Hindemith sonatas" Denney
TheAltoHornGuy
bugler
bugler

Post by TheAltoHornGuy »

Rick Denney wrote:
TheAltoHornGuy wrote:I am interested in performing works such as Hindemith; do you think it would be a suitable solo horn? As a horn player, intonation issues aren't very new to me. :mrgreen:
Which Hindemith? The Tuba Sonata will be a struggle on a euphonium, especially one with a low register that requires a particular approach.

Rick "not familiar with other Hindemith sonatas" Denney
Dear me, apologies! I meant Horovitz; I love listening to the 1st movement...

The Alto Horn "who confused Horovitz with Hindemith" Guy :wink:
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

bort wrote:
Matt Good wrote:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aP7PHz ... sp=sharing

It's like an infant tuba. :tuba:
"When I grow up, I wanna be a 164..........."

:twisted:
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

I splurged last year, and bought an Alex 151 from The Horn Guys. I am not a euph player by nature, but I have been playing it regularly in a concert band (until the pandemic, that is...). The horn I got from Steve Ferguson is the gold brass version. I like it a lot. I think it actually has a tuba “sensibility” to it, as opposed to feeling like a euphonium.

I find it to be not too bad, intonation-wise. Playing into the low register is not particularly a problem. Maybe I just got lucky!

I did make an Acapella recording of a quartet, using the 151 for the two euph parts. It will give SOME idea of how it sounds (please be gentle...!).

https://youtu.be/4FU73sVnmm8" target="_blank