Dolly bags? Cronkhite bags? WHat would you choose?

The bulk of the musical talk

What would you choose?

Dolly
26%
Cronkhite
45%
Reunion blues
No votes
Protec
3%
Altieri
24%
others
3%

Total votes: 38

Arthur plays tuba
bugler
bugler

Dolly bags? Cronkhite bags? WHat would you choose?

Post by Arthur plays tuba »

What would you choose if you need a bag which offers maximum protection?
ufoneum
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ufoneum »

If you are looking for something with "maximum protection", you might want to stray from the gig bag. But, I use a Cronkhite bag. It has a ring of wood sewn into the bell section, so that helps a little if I drop it? I dunno... it looks pretty sweet, though... If you are really worried about your horn, use a hard case.
Assistant Prof. of Music - Kentucky Wesleyan College (Owensboro, KY)
Buffet Crampon and Besson Performing Artist
Conductor, River Brass Band (Evansville, IN)
Treasurer, International Tuba Euphonium Association
facebook.com/stuckemeyer
patstuckemeyer.com
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

I've written on the subject before, but I'm bored, so here it goes again...

I have a San Francisco era Reunion Blues bag and a Dolly Bag.

My Reunion Blues bag, like I already said, was made in San Francisco when Reunion Blues was still under the control of Glen Cronkhite, so I'm going to speak of it as if it were a Cronkhite bag. The Reunion Blues name has since been sold to an overseas firm that continues to market them in the United States as Reunion Blues gig bags, but the quality isn't even close to as good as it was with "real" San Francisco Reunion Blues gig bags. More on that here: http://hornguys.com/tubacases.htm

I really like my cordura Reunion Blues bag. It's fairly well padded with stiff foam, the horn fits well, and the shoulder straps are sturdy and in as logical a location as possible making having a big CC on my back about as comfortable as it's going to get. As for features, I like the removable outside pocket on the front and the flat one on the back. In addition, I like that the case opens up flat like a suitcase...I'm not a top loader gig bag fan at all. I've owned three of these and they've all been great.

I have a Dolly Bag for my F tuba, although the bag is actually made for an Hirsbrunner HB-2 sized tuba. I decided to purchase one after finally being able to see one in person to check out the general quality, amount of padding, and the plastic sheets that I'd heard so much about. The overall quality is very good, but what's really special about them are the plastic sheets that function as a shell for the entire case. It's still a bag, but the plastic makes it about as damage resistant as possible. Aside from the plastic, the foam is very thick and the interior surface that contacts the horn is made of a smooth cloth that doesn't scratch the horn. Mine has a reinforced area under the valve section to catch any moisture or oil as well. The pocket on the front is huge and non removable, but it doesn't get in the way. In addition, I think my Dolly Bag has zippers that are far superior to any other gig bag zippers that I've ever seen...HUGE, heavy duty zippers (mine is a sideloader, btw). The downside is that the shoulder straps are not as good as RB...they are thinner and not padded as well and that Dolly Bags are pretty heavy. They also don't have a "zipper protection flap" along the bottom bow like my RB does, nor does it have a little leather piece that hooks the tow side handles together...come to think of it, it doesn't have any leather on it at all.

I like them both and think they are pretty even when compared side to side, but I'd probably buy a Dolly Bag if I bought another one...having the additional protection of thicker foam and the plastic sheets is enough to get me to overlook the ok-but-not-as-good-as-RB shoulder straps and the weight. I think they are both about the same price new, btw.
Sally Larsen
bugler
bugler

Post by Sally Larsen »

Leif Luscombe made a very stout custom bag for my old King (which has a huge detachable bell). It has done an admirable job of keeping my horn safe, in spite of the fact that much of my playing is done in less than tuba-friendly venues.
Sally 'whoops, crash, sorry" Larsen
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I'm very pleased with the Dolly bag I have for my F. I don't usually like side-opening bags but this one has been great.

Dittos on the plastic sheets lining the Dolly bag.

A bag, no matter how good, should be thought of as offering no protection to the instrument. That way you will be more careful. A factory case doesn't offer much more protection either.
dmmorris
3 valves
3 valves
Location: From far away as Jupiter sulfur mines, way down by the methane sea.

Post by dmmorris »

Tom wrote:My Reunion Blues bag, like I already said, was made in San Francisco when Reunion Blues was still under the control of Glen Cronkhite, so I'm going to speak of it as if it were a Cronkhite bag.
Ditto!........and I love it!
beta 14??..........OK!

Mid 70's B&S Tuba