Who was the best tuba teacher that ever lived?

The bulk of the musical talk
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Who was the best tuba teacher that ever lived?

Post by Rick Denney »

Both of my professional instructors played for me, and invited me to emulate what they were doing (and with tuba playing, sound is always part of that, right?). Mike Sanders was the first, and he played not only his Alex but also my Cerveny during my lessons. I can still hear that sound.

But I can't emulate it, lo these many decades later.

Rick "still aiming for that distant target" Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

happyroman wrote:
Rick Denney wrote:
Doc wrote:... I'd love to know more about ... Cherry Beauregard. Maybe somewhere there is more information...?
Talk with Mike Sanders--he studied with Cherry Beauregard at Eastman. Probably any of those Eastman students can tell you all about him--he didn't retire until 1996. Chuck Daellenbach would be in that group, too, among many others. And Don Harry probably knows him well. As far as I know, he's still with us--he's five years younger than my father, who is definitely still with us. Don can probably also tell you about Bill Bell, as can Floyd Cooley and I'm sure many others still around who studied with him.

Rick "speaking of Floyd Cooley..." Denney
Of the four you mention, three would likely say that Jake was their most influential teacher....
Well, that wasn't the question I was answering, was it? Neither did that answer the question posed by the OP, which is who we might recognize beyond the obvious Jacobs.

Rick "the greatness of Jacobs in no way diminishes the influence of others" Denney
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Post by peterbas »

Deleted
Last edited by peterbas on Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Post by peterbas »

Deleted
Last edited by peterbas on Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Post by brianf »

Harvey Phillips told students of his "You are a second generation student of Bill Bell."
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com" target="_blank
brianf@windsongpress.com" target="_blank
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

That's what I was talking about.
pigman
bugler
bugler

Post by pigman »

Ringling Bros Barnum and Bailey Blue unit
peter birch
4 valves
4 valves

Post by peter birch »

The best tuba teachers ever will, I think remain forever unknown . Many of the great names mentioned build upon the work of primary and secondary school teachers and Peripatetic tutors who work hard getting kids from being complete beginners to reasonably competent musicians. In my view they are far greater than the university and conservatoire teachers
courtois 181 EEb
PT24+
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

peter birch wrote:The best tuba teachers ever will, I think remain forever unknown . Many of the great names mentioned build upon the work of primary and secondary school teachers and Peripatetic tutors who work hard getting kids from being complete beginners to reasonably competent musicians. In my view they are far greater than the university and conservatoire teachers
I still feel sorry for my Henry B duPont Middle School band teacher Mr. Humphries. No glory, no band trips, competitions or half time shows. Just a bunch of screeching 5th thru 8th grade nuckleheads!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.