A gay tuba player?

The bulk of the musical talk
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Re: A gay tuba player?

Post by anotherjtm2 »

BrassoProfundo wrote:.... Now, with tuba being so hip, ditto being gay, there are more and more of both. ...
Is tuba hip now? That's great news!
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
Cyrilee
bugler
bugler

Post by Cyrilee »

Personally, I'm on the LGBTQIA+ spectrum twice, so yes. There are definitely queer tubists, just like any other group with enough members.
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

WoodSheddin wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:Well I can't change my sexual orientation, but for sufficient money I suppose I could be persuaded to produce a transgendered former tuba player, which would also by definition produce a gay tuba player because of the change in "equipment." But nobody has that much money.
What the **** kind of statement is this? For ****'s sake.
Yeah; I had to read the original statement a couple times but Sean kind of summed it up nicely.

I think I have known several gay tuba players. I do know lots of gay horn players and trumpet players (and trombone players) for sure. There are fewer tuba players per ca pita in organizations. And, yes, if people feel comfortable with others, they certainly do talk about their sexual preference like their partners, who they are dating, etc--not only LGBTQ+ persons either.
BrassoProfundo
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassoProfundo »

anotherjtm2 wrote:
BrassoProfundo wrote:.... Now, with tuba being so hip, ditto being gay, there are more and more of both. ...
Is tuba hip now? That's great news!
At least hipper. Like Geeks: not quite hip, but sort of almost cool.
Think song and wind, not meat and muscle. -Arnold Jacobs
Tuba, mirum spargens sonum, per sepulchra regionum, coget omnes ante thronum.
With tubas and the call of the rams horn shout with joy. בחצצרות וקול שופר הריעו
BrassoProfundo
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassoProfundo »

Congratulations to BrendanIge memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=53342 and John Baylies for their leadership in engaging the wider Tuba Euphonium community in issues of inclusion, diversity, and social justice.

They've really helped spark a growing awareness and solidarity in addressing how these issues have been handled within the Tuba Euphonium world. They helped build the Tuba Euphonium Social Justice Initiative on Facebook and create the kind of inclusive space for addressing these issues, building community, and making the Tuba Euphonium world better for it. That work helped address issues here on TubeNet, and have lead to reinvigorated leadership who have composed inclusive TubeNet New Community Standards. Thanks too to Farah Chisham, who when engaged on this issue, quickly recognized the matters of justice at play, and has set about correcting a biased situation.
“Tubenet has kept it’s eyes closed for too long and it is time to be inclusive. Tubenet is keeping Farah Chisham as administrator and adding Brendan Ige and John Baylies as moderators. Sincerely, Farah.”
And, I note, that I'm posting this on the "A gay tuba player?" thread that in 2018 was Google's first result in a search for "Gay Tuba Players"!! My posting to the thread in 2018, which had originated in 2015, was all that was needed for some moderators to censor the entire thread, claiming that any discussion or even positive, affirmative mention of LGBTQ+ issues was contentious and against TubeNet's Community Standards. I also celebrate the restoration of other censored content, especially the LGBTQ+ Tuba Euphonium Composers/arrangers thread.

Lift Every Voice and Sing, Tuba Euphonium players!
Last edited by BrassoProfundo on Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think song and wind, not meat and muscle. -Arnold Jacobs
Tuba, mirum spargens sonum, per sepulchra regionum, coget omnes ante thronum.
With tubas and the call of the rams horn shout with joy. בחצצרות וקול שופר הריעו
brendanige
bugler
bugler

Post by brendanige »

Thank you Adam,

I do want to mention that it was because a large part of the community spoke up and stood together that we are seeing change. I am uncomfortable receiving this public thanks without speaking on that. I'm happy to be a part of a changing (for the better) community. We need to strive to create lasting change. I think we may be succeeding in a small way, little by little.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Schlepporello wrote:I hope you guys are happy, you've gone and drawn MaryAnn into the conversation now.
Bet she’ll never do that again!! :lol:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Post by peterbas »

Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue what this thread and change of moderators is all about.
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

peterbas wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue what this thread and change of moderators is all about.
No, you aren't the only one. I mostly missed it as I am still employed 9-5 and tend to stay out of contentious things. I just want to talk about tuba here.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

tbonesullivan wrote:
peterbas wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue what this thread and change of moderators is all about.
No, you aren't the only one. I mostly missed it as I am still employed 9-5 and tend to stay out of contentious things. I just want to talk about tuba here.
This thread is about gay tuba players. WRT the change of mods, check out the announcement titled "why the changes?" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97399" target="_blank" target="_blank
brendanige
bugler
bugler

Post by brendanige »

First of all, I'll address the new mods and changes. See this post.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=97399" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Next goodgigs, no one is trying to make you "confess" anything or sing about loving lefties. Please stop saying that, it's untrue. If you persist, you will not be following our community standards. See here:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=97396" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Lastly, I love the new conversation! Can't wait till more people get involved!

Brendan
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Scratching my head here...

I am a bi tuba player, and a member of racial, ethnic, and religious minorities. I've been on here since mid-2009, and there hasn't been a single instance on this forum where I haven't been treated with respect and dignity.
CaptainNemo
bugler
bugler

Post by CaptainNemo »

I know several gay tuba players, at least one bi tuba player, at least one trans tuba player and several who didn't want to be labelled as any one thing but would best be described as individuals very at ease with their sexuality (or lack thereof) and identity.

I'm sure there are countless more that I know who don't make a big deal about any of it, and would prefer to be described by their playing than their background.
Miraphone 188 5V CC
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Post by peterbas »

jbaylies wrote:
tbonesullivan wrote:
This thread is about gay tuba players. WRT the change of mods, check out the announcement titled "why the changes?" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97399" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thank you but yes I can read, but seriously al this commotion to get an old thread about gay tuba players back on top off the list. I can't remember anybody saying anything bad about a gay tuba player.
We used to go out in a gay bar when I was younger, great guy's, great music and great fun. We didn't care they being gay, they didn't care we were not and that was 30 years ago.

Why the changes gives no explaining why things happen it's just a standaard text for a forum.
peter birch
4 valves
4 valves

Post by peter birch »

To answer the question-I don’t know, sexual orientation is not a question I would dream of asking in any context, let alone a musical one. It certainly would not affect how I get along with anyone
courtois 181 EEb
PT24+
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

Really? Is this a thing? Personally, I could not care less. How does the person play? Are they a good colleague? Do they show up on time? Are they a good hang?