EEb tubas

The bulk of the musical talk
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

EEb tubas

Post by eupho »

Are there any EEb players who use a 3 valve EEb as their Bass Tuba?
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Re: EEb tubas

Post by Donn »

1. Yes, because
    1. there are enough 3 valve Eb tubas that someone must play one, and
    2. an Eb tuba is by definition a bass tuba
  2. No, because an EEb tuba, a 5th below BBb, would make a terrible bass tuba
Of course this is sort of nit-picky, but your question has meaning to you that it may not exactly have to everyone. If you have a real object in asking, might help to zero in on it a little.
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

While I don't personally play one, I know of plenty of good 3 valve Eb tubas that have great false tones. If you get good at those, 3 valves is plenty enough to play chromatically down to the pedal range.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

Both my bass tuba and sousaphone are E-flat instruments with 3 valves and exceptional privileged tones.

For several years, my 3-valve Holton Monster E-flat was my only tuba, and for a few years I was the only tuba in a 60-piece collegiate wind symphony. The Holton provided more than enough oomph--even using privileged tones--to support such a large ensemble.

Some literature at the Grade IV-V level is not at all fun to play on a 3-valve E-flat, but it can be done. I had access to the college's YBB-641 contras, but the conductor and other principal musicians in the ensemble preferred what the Holton brought to the table.
grayax
lurker
lurker

Post by grayax »

I do. I have a 1936 Pan-American. Other than a new leadpipe that is just long enough to make it flat, it still sounds and plays great. I much prefer my 1241 BBb for almost everything, but it is fun to bring it out for a march now and then.