What should I buy next?

The bulk of the musical talk

What should Bort buy next?

Thein RCC w/standard shank
19%
Thein RCC-Heavy w/standard shank
11%
Momo 30H (because it's pretty and why not?)
7%
Upgrade my upcoming gig bag purchase from Cordura to Leather
7%
Some kind of something for Bort Jr to start playing
56%

Total votes: 27

bort
6 valves
6 valves

What should I buy next?

Post by bort »

I'm sitting on about $350 here... What should I do with it? Vote, comment...try (try) to stick to the list

(Context -- I've been playing a Thein RCC w/Euro shank for years and love it. But now, I need a standard shank mouthpiece. Maybe try the heavy version while I'm at it? Or don't change more than I need to?)
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Re: What should I buy next?

Post by Ken Herrick »

bloke wrote:Hold on to you dough, and all the additional that you can save up.
_ _ _ _ is crazy right now, and prices (at least, on food) are headed through the roof.
You need to feed your family.
Someone once wrote:You don' nee' no steenkin' mouthpeece.
yep!
Free to tuba: good home
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

I wish to learn this playing without a mouthpiece.
Thanks for playing!
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Post by gwwilk »

humBell wrote:I wish to learn this playing without a mouthpiece.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Well, thanks for the votes, at least. :P

If the last option (Bort Jr), any suggestions? He's 5, and loves to play my Alexander (while I hold it up). Obviously it's too big for him, but he does pretty well and can hit a pretty good low C.

I'd want something that plays (isn't broken, leaking air, etc) but otherwise doesn't have to be great at all. Still, nothing Chinese please. That little Eb that was sold on here last week or so looked cool, but I was too late for it.

Thanks! :tuba:
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Get the A shank mouthpiece of the mouthpiece that you like (even though it's probably not as good as bloke's stuff :D ) , then be done with all of that.

Look for a ybb-103. Watch ebay, tubenet, etc. Bide your time. Something will show up.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Thanks guys!

This looks cool too... but more than I'm going to spend right now. But seems like it fits in the category of too small for a modern bass, and maybe too big for a tenor. It's a beauty, though!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Magna-B ... 3562835436" target="_blank
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Brett,
pm sent.
Also, consider a used bass guitar. Not hard to learn, you'll have a blast playing along with your favorite tunes of any genre, and you just may pick up a couple of (low-) paying side gigs now and then.
Tim
Last edited by MN_TimTuba on Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

^^^ what I was going to say....get Bort Jr a baritone or euphonium in good playing condition. It's a great start and he'll be able to get reasonable sounds out of it pretty quickly.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

I guess i still vote for bort jr., but absent any other knowledge of interests and progress, 5 might be early?

Definitely keep your eye out, and pounce when the option ya want becomes available.

I do like the previous suggestions of bass guitar and trombone or euphonium.

Whatever ya do, make sure ya have a way to keep it interesting, and wait until he is capable of handling it.

Actually if you got a passing interest in bass guitar, that would make it useful for the both of you.

Hey, he could strum the strings while finger the frets to start out?

Anyway, i am sure there are loads of right answers! And if you don't decrease the resale value, maybe you can buy each mouthpiece in turn, find out what you think, and have your fill or sell your old mouthpiece to get the Bort jr. instrument of choice?

Anyway, thanks for promoting interesting discussion!
Thanks for playing!
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

MaryAnn wrote:^^^ what I was going to say....get Bort Jr a baritone or euphonium in good playing condition. It's a great start and he'll be able to get reasonable sounds out of it pretty quickly.
I was gonna say, if Bort Jr. likes your Alex but is too small for a tuba, you might look for one of these:

https://gebr-alexander.de/en/tenorhorns-baritones/" target="_blank

But given the current economic situation, I would have to agree with Bloke.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
TheodoreSmith
bugler
bugler

Post by TheodoreSmith »

That little Eb that was sold on here last week or so looked cool, but I was too late for it
Sorry bort if your talking about my thing, I think I sold it for a little too cheap because you weren't the only one :lol:

There's this cool thing called a
Nuvo jHorn
It's a p-brass instrument meant for junior sized people. it seems really cool for someone very young and learning!
:tuba:
B&S PT-7PS
Yamaha Yeb-321
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I think Bloke is calling this one smartly and correctly.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

bloke wrote:Hold on to you dough, and all the additional that you can save up.
_ _ _ _ is crazy right now, and prices (at least, on food) are headed through the roof.
You need to feed your family.
As usual, I agree with Bloke.... for the most part. You might consider buying something that has future bartering power, silver coins for instance. If we come out unscathed, silver will still be worth the price of silver. If the world economy crashes, silver might be gold.

I am not speaking of collectable silver coins, that is a manipulated market. I am talking about bagged silver coins that trade based on the price of silver.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
grayax
lurker
lurker

Post by grayax »

bort wrote:Thanks guys!

This looks cool too... but more than I'm going to spend right now. But seems like it fits in the category of too small for a modern bass, and maybe too big for a tenor. It's a beauty, though!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Magna-B ... 3562835436" target="_blank" target="_blank
I have to laugh. I sold one just like it back in March for $500. I bought it on Ebay twenty years earlier because the seller said it was a bass. I found out in rehearsal that it's bore was less than a Bach 42. Despite Martin calling it a bass, and it having a 9.5" bell, the bore is only .536". I always had to get the school's (Ohio State) Reynolds bass that none of the music majors wanted just to be able to put out enough sound in the "everyone gets in" concert band. In a bit of history kind of repeating itself, I sold my Martin and acquired a Reynolds.