Alexander Downsizing

The bulk of the musical talk
Ted Cox
pro musician
pro musician

Alexander Downsizing

Post by Ted Cox »

A report yesterday, August 13, on slippedisc.com concerning Musik Alexander in Mainz, Germany. A short statement reported by Norman Lebrecht.

"Covid has proved too much for the venerable Musik Alexander company of Mainz. The company is abandoning its Bahnhofstrasse headquarters and shutting down the string, wind, and percussion instruments departments. It is hoped that the profitable brass instrument making branch in Hechsheim and the Piano Alexander store can still be saved."

Alexander has been at the Bahnhofstra Street location for over 100 years. Philip Alexander, who runs the company now was raised by his father Anton on the top floor of the building. From the very early 1900's to 1975, all Alexander instruments were made inside this building. After 1975 to 2011, instruments were made in a building they rented directly behind the original building. In the Spring of 2011, Alexander moved production to a nearby modern facility. It's amazing to me what this company and family have survived over the past 238 years.
The photos below are the Bahnhofstra Street location, which is really a local music store in Mainz. The first photo is what the building looked like prior to being bombed in WW II. The second photo is what the location looks like today.
Any downsizing of a company most always goes back to basics - and for Alexander, that means making horns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Alexander Downsizing

Post by bisontuba »

Big news....
tbonesullivan
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tbonesullivan »

Dang that is some sad news. I hope they are able to turn things around. As things continue we're going to see more and more of this, and it's not good.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-621 RII Bass Trombone and a bunch of other trombones
Ben
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ben »

While I am not surprised, I am saddened to hear this. I have never purchased a new instrument from them, but then again, I have never purchased a new instrument. I am routing for them regardless!
Ben Vokits
NYC/Philly area Freelancer
Nautilus Brass Quintet
Alex 164C, 163C, 155F; HB1P
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

As long as the world is sheltering the entire music industry will suffer. This includes private teachers, universities, marching bands, orchestras, operas, concerts, entertainers, gig players, manufacturers, music stores and everything else. If you make your living in the music industry, you are hurting.

And this is terrible news.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Ted Cox wrote:Any downsizing of a company most always goes back to basics - and for Alexander, that means making horns.
That's how I'm reading it too. Alexander's waldhorns (French horns) are standard equipment in many European orchestras, and we all know their tubas are the best :mrgreen: . This is Alexander's bread and butter so they'd be foolish to abandon it.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

gotta admit a bit shocked. they survived a lot of world events.
sean chisham
A.N.Other
bugler
bugler

Post by A.N.Other »

It's a shame. But I guess their instruments are underrated by many while found expensive except for their french horns. In my experience especially the rather conservative sound approach (and also playability) is great. Compared to all the hyped tubas the price of a new 164 is absolutely fair. Maybe priced just too high for most amateurs and not in fashion any more amongst the pros...
floydr
lurker
lurker

Post by floydr »

Don't worry! Email from Alexander

Thank you for your mail and concerns.
There is a reorganization of the company going on which is affecting the retail business. The shop in downtown is closing end of the year. We will keep running the piano department but wind and string will stop. Our manufactory is not affected by this at all. We were thinking of this change already for many years since retail business (purchasing instruments of different brands and selling them on to musicians) became more and more difficult and less profitable. In order to compete we have had to adjust prices down to web prices and the profit rate got smaller and smaller. But our costs..... they were the same or increasing. End of last year we have finally decided to close most of the shop in the end of 2021! Because of the pandemic now the whole process was sped up now and this big change will happen end of this year already.
So, we will keep on making the famous Alexander instruments.

With best regards
Reimund Pankratz

Gebr. Alexander,
Rhein. Musikinstrumentenfabrik GmbH
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

floydr wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:10 pm Don't worry! Email from Alexander
. . .
So, we will keep on making the famous Alexander instruments.

With best regards
Reimund Pankratz

Gebr. Alexander,
Rhein. Musikinstrumentenfabrik GmbH
This is great news. I have many fond memories of visiting their shop. Truly a boutique shop!
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N