Please help an old man. Switch to Eb?

The bulk of the musical talk
jakewillis
bugler
bugler

Please help an old man. Switch to Eb?

Post by jakewillis »

I’m not that old. But at 47 with a bad back, I decided a few years ago that my first tuba in forever would be smaller but still with four valves. I ended up buying a Wessex Prague. It’s like a Cerveny Piggy. Super compact 4/4 BBb horn.

The horn had valve issues and the amazing JC Sherman made them work like a charm. I’ve used it for community band, some semi-pro playing, solo projects, nothing too serious. I really like the horn, but it has limitations. Intonation is good, not great. I am not a fan of rotary valves and the valves can’t keep up with my fastest playing.

My current horn is super fun to play, but I want something a little nicer and capable.

So I’m looking to upgrade, but still hoping for something smaller. I have never played an Eb horn. I did play F for a hot minute as a music education major in college. The idea of getting a bass tuba instead of contrabass (I hope I’m using that correctly.) really appeals to me, but I am worried about the learning curve. I started on trumpet so I think the transition to E flat would be a little bit easier.

So I have the following options:

Buy a nice used BBb horn.
Buy a new Wessex Eb like the Cavalry
Buy a used F
Buy a used Eb

Has anyone else ever done a transition like this? Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who plays in a community band and solo work?

What’s the best smaller horn out there?

I really appreciate any help or guidance.
Brendan Bohnhorst
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Please help an old man. Switch to Eb?

Post by Brendan Bohnhorst »

I have an older student (late 50's) that I helped switch to an Eb this year. The learning curve isn't too bad and it works well as an all around tuba. He normally plays in a community band with 2 other tubas and at his church with an organ, quintet and small choir. I think that an Eb is about perfect for this and it fit the bill for what he wanted. Small and easier to carry, sounds like a tuba, easy to play everything on.

Here is a summary of what I told him;

The Eb tuba is a good bridge between what we hear as a "bass tuba" sound and a "contrabass tubas" sound. They are usually a little closer to the "contrabass" sound in my opinion, but have the facility of a bass tuba. (please keep in mind that I've used a small Alexander F for years and that is what I hear in my head as a bass tuba sound) If you want a slightly lighter sound, while still getting a full sort of pillowy tone, they are a great option.

Here are some issues you might run into;

- The compensating Eb's are a little harder to honk on down low. It's similar to playing an F tuba below the staff. If you had no issues with that in college then they will be an easy transition for you. My belief is that you can play anything on any tuba, after all it is still a tuba. But I don't choose to play "the Planets" or "the Ride" with my orchestra on my F either...
- The non-compensating Eb's are a little harder to find. Like any model, some are great, some are not.

Based on what little I know from your post I think that you would do really well with a good Eb. The 19" bell Besson 981/982's are pretty consistent and they all seem to be pretty good players. I personally like the Besson 983's a lot more, but they are usually a little more $$ and harder to find. (My student bought an older 981)
Last edited by Brendan Bohnhorst on Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Post by GeoffC_UK »

The Eb bass tuba is the most popular horn, arguably, in the UK. It is commonplace.
I have played Bb tuba, but spent many decades on Eb.
No issue jumping between two.
Just a week or two to get my ear in.

I have played in brass and wind bands.
I have also played in brass quintets and symphony orchestras.
I can only think of a few occasions over the years when I wished I had something else other than an Eb.
I find it extremely versatile.

Like you, I set out to buy a tuba (two actually) in March and have just received my second two weeks ago.
There is so much choice that my head was spinning.
It took weeks to narrow down the search to something manageable.

Because it is popular, the UK used Eb horn market has lots of choices.
You can buy a fully refurbished Eb 3+1 for about 5,200 USD (ex. Sales tax, not including shipping and import duties to USA).
Or, you can buy an old Besson (B&H) 3+1 as I did for 2,800 USD (ex. Sales tax, etc) and look to heavily customise it to exactly what I want.
My used Eb plays really well for something built circa 1982.
UK Eb horns are mostly compensated.
Example buys: https://www.duchybrass.co.uk/shop/instr ... ***-tubas/ (especially the 1984 build)

For my other horn, I looked at a used Besson 983 (British-built) that was on-sale at Baltimore Brass (now sold, but they have a German built one on sale).

I did try Meinl-Weston, St. Petersburg, and Miraphone in 5v rotary valve set-up.

Eventually, I bought a new Willson 3400-FA5s.
Although expensive it has proved to be an excellent purchase.
Never seen a used one for sale.

Hope you find what you want.

Geoff
tylerferris1213
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tylerferris1213 »

I would recommend getting back in contact with J.c. Sherman. He is the home of wayward Eb tubas, and he may have something for you to learn on while you're looking to upgrade!
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Contrabass FF
Karituba
bugler
bugler

Post by Karituba »

Jake... 47 is NOT old! I love my Eb's!
20 tubas and counting
jakewillis
bugler
bugler

Post by jakewillis »

tylerferris1213 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:15 pm I would recommend getting back in contact with J.c. Sherman. He is the home of wayward Eb tubas, and he may have something for you to learn on while you're looking to upgrade!
Thank you! I will.
jakewillis
bugler
bugler

Post by jakewillis »

Karituba wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:13 pm Jake... 47 is NOT old! I love my Eb's!
KARI! Hi! Can I borrow one of yours. You have 19. Aka 18 more than I do.
jakewillis
bugler
bugler

Post by jakewillis »

Brendan and Geoff, thank you very much!
zangerzzz
bugler
bugler

Post by zangerzzz »

I've found a 3/4 CC has the agility of a bass tuba, but the depth of a contra bass.
Karituba
bugler
bugler

Post by Karituba »

If you would like an Eb to practice on... let me know.
20 tubas and counting
ChipTuba
lurker
lurker

Post by ChipTuba »

You might want to check out the Mack Brass TU422L BB Tuba
Price: $1995.00

They're good folks to work with. I've had my Mack tuba for 8 years and love it.
Mack Brass TU200 BBb
Amati ABB323 BBb 3/4
Squier J-Bass
jakewillis
bugler
bugler

Post by jakewillis »

:D
Karituba wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:48 am If you would like an Eb to practice on... let me know.
I definitely do!
jakewillis
bugler
bugler

Post by jakewillis »

So I’ve decided to try to get my hands on an Eb and see if I can handle the music then wait until tuba conferences start again and maybe buy one.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

"I started on trumpet so I think the transition to E flat would be a little bit easier" . . Yep! Further more, a good Eb is a much better all around, do everything type of instrument. I would not turn to an F as you're one and only tuba, unless you're willing and able to put down a lot of fingers for low register notes. At least the 3+1 compensating eefers make low register fingerings fairly easy. A lot of people complain that the 3+1 eefers don't have good low registers. But here's what they won't tell you . . .

The 3+1 eefers can play well with all kinds of mouthpieces. John Fletcher taught me that. Therefore, if you're horn isn't too long and can get itself up to pitch (I had my 3+1 Eb cut a bit), you can put a big mouthpiece in it for when you do need big, fat low notes. I found mine played well with the big Dennis Wick 1L. I once heard the tuba player of the Royal Philharmonic play Mahler 5 on his 3+1 Eb tuba in a large symphony hall. He did just fine! It wasn't the sound that I would want for that piece in that type of a hall, but he certainly got by. He wouldn't have used his eefer if he had thought otherwise.