alphorn

The bulk of the musical talk
jerseyeuph
bugler
bugler

alphorn

Post by jerseyeuph »

I play several natural instruments and have become interested in obtaining an alphorn. I see that Thomann sells a range of instruments, including their store brand as well as horns by Neumann, who has an informative web site.

Please tell us about your alphorn experience:
-horn(s) you own
-mouthpiece selection
-in F or F# or other? (which is best for ensemble playing in the U.S., assuming that’s a thing?)
-anything else interesting or informative

Thanks!
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: alphorn

Post by Dan Schultz »

There are several responses on the 'other' tuba forum. I own one that was made in the 60's in Switzerland. It's built in Gb with a short center sections that converts it to F. It seems like F is more popular here in the US but I'm glad mine can be played in both keys.

I've found that a size MP that corresponds to what I generally play is the best for me. I'm a tuba player who sometimes doubles of euph. I like to use an MP that's about the size of a large euph. Thomann sells adapters to enable a player to use about any combination. There doesn't seen to be any 'right' MP. I know folks who can play the entire range on a very small MP. No me though. Use what's comfortable for you.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

Dan Schultz wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:48 pm Thomann sells adapters to enable a player to use about any combination.
I've been under the impression that each alphorn maker has their own shank sizes, and that it's a good idea to get the mouthpiece from the same maker, unless it's custom. Did you have any issues fitting an adapter into your horn?

I don't really care for my wooden mouthpiece (the higher range sounds really unfocused), and popping one of my trombone mouthpieces in, while not a good fit, grabs the full range of the horn decently well. Though I do prefer the sound of the wooden mouthpiece on the horn. But until I could find a decent mouthpiece replacement, I thought about an adapter to throw my Warburton in there. I guess it's worth a shot.
Nick
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

From what little experience I've had with Alphorns... the receivers and mouthpiece shanks have standard taper but may vary a bit on the diameter causing them to sit a little deeper or higher. It's definitely not a Morse or Jarno taper.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

I bought a Heimatklang Alphorn in F and use it with a German Band I play with.

I have no other alphorn experience, so I can't say whether it is good or bad. I will say that the craftmanship is fine and I can play it pretty well.
I use the standard wooden mouthpiece that it came with, and again, I have no other experience to compare it with.
All I will say is that it is a beautiful instrument and seems to be well made, and of good quality.
It is modular and is built in three sections that fit together with metal tenons.

ken k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

ken k wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:48 pm I bought a Heimatklang Alphorn in F and use it with a German Band I play with.

I have no other alphorn experience, so I can't say whether it is good or bad. I will say that the craftmanship is fine and I can play it pretty well.
I use the standard wooden mouthpiece that it came with, and again, I have no other experience to compare it with.
All I will say is that it is a beautiful instrument and seems to be well made, and of good quality.
It is modular and is built in three sections that fit together with metal tenons.

ken k
If you want to get proficient fast on the horn (and helps with your tuba/euph playing), get a copy of the Bai Lin, and play each exercise in the book. Since there's no valves, you obviously don't need to go through all seven series, so the book will take about a half hour to get completely through. And your lip slurs will be awesome after a few weeks of this.
Nick