Main horn European Vs. American

The bulk of the musical talk
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Main horn European Vs. American

Post by DouglasJB »

Something I have noticed and I may be wrong about it, but in European Orchestras and bands in general from what I've noticed the Bass tuba is viewed as the "Main Horn" and the contrabass is pulled out when needed. Where here in America is is completely flipped. Where did the difference start, and why?
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Re: Main horn European Vs. American

Post by GeoffC_UK »

My belief, correct me if wrong, is that this trend began in the US and Germany during the early part of the 19th century as bigger meant better.
Tubas just got bigger and bigger.....
The traditional British and French 'sound' was derived from smaller horns with narrower bores.
This was discused by John Fletcher LSO in his interview for Tuba Britannica.
Should you be interested I can forward you a copy of Tom Aitken's text - email via stanshawe(dot)com web site.
He covers lots of subjects and an easy read.
Last edited by GeoffC_UK on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

I think it's very possible that this trend flips back the other way. Especially with the research, development and innovation that has gone into new and improved bass tuba designs. Tuba has also really blossomed as a legitimate solo and chamber instrument thanks to many talented "pioneers." This has really influenced composers and arrangers to write more demanding literature, that capitalizes on the newfound/newly discovered acrobatic and lyrical capabilities of the tuba.

Don't get me wrong, there's still quite a demand for the BIG tuba sound, especially the YORK type sound. I really enjoy that sound. However,vas more and more people are demonstrating the enormous capabilities of great bass tuba playing in the US, and with the availability of great equipment, I think eventually the BIG tuba trend will flip back the other way. You can kinda already see it, with the now wide availability of affordable 6/4 York style CC tubas. You see a lot of, wow, I finally got that BIG tuba... it's amazing...it can do everything...then a few months/years later...I have decided to go to something smaller...a new direction in my playing.

Great bass tuba playing is really appealing to non tuba playing musicians, and it's really appealing to audio engineers, from my experience. Once you master the quirks, and learn to utilize a different air stream, there's not much you can't do with a good bass tuba. Sure, I get it, "there's no replacement for displacement" :shock: :roll: :lol: However, BIG tuba doesn't necessarily equate to a large volume of sound. You can slice right through a large ensemble with a bass tuba... Timbre is the biggest difference... not necessarily projection, but that's a whole other can of worms :tuba:

From my experience, especially if you are an aspiring professional/freelancer, etc...if you are going to satisfy the demands of the music/composer, as well as the expectations/demands of the conductor/music director, your fellow musicians(colleagues), you have to be competent on both the contrabass and bass tubas. :tuba:
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

I think the European approach reflects the development of the tuba as a species. : )

The first tubas were pitched in F, if I recall correctly. Later, BBb horns were developed. Not sure of how much later, though.

A lot of pieces written at the time of the tuba’s invention and soon after, were written with the existing F tuba in mind. As an example, while you can play it on either bass or contra, the Brahms’ Requiem part really seems to me to be tailored to the F tuba. The part where the tuba doubles the bass singers, for instance, can get out of control, balance-wise, on a bigger horn. The appropriate balance with the singers seems more easily accomplished with a bass tuba. I know some people will say that my comment is hogwash, and they have played that piece VERY successfully on a CC tuba! That may be true, but I maintain that it is more easily done on an F tuba. I believe that the European attitude comes out of the orchestral tradition.

I think the whole BBb-centric approach to tubadom in the public school band system in America, creates our focus on the bigger horns as our primary choice of instrument. Band arrangements rely on the tubas for their foundational sound. Not as true for the orchestra. The bass function is fulfilled by the string basses, in orchestra. Witness: the number of orchestra pieces written without ANY tuba parts, but yet they have bass sounds!

Not a scientific opinion, but I think it makes sense.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

I think the BBb concert band approach can be traced to J P Sousa and his desire for a broader foundation to the band.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.