Travelling with Eastman 6/4 C

The bulk of the musical talk
Triggerfish
bugler
bugler

Travelling with Eastman 6/4 C

Post by Triggerfish »

I test played one these instruments a while back and while it was a good instrument the brass felt a bit thin. So I was wondering does anyone has any experience travelling with this instrument? If so how did it fare, and did you find the thinness to be an issue at all?
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Re: Travelling with Eastman 6/4 C

Post by Matt Walters »

I think you can use standard precautions when traveling with the 6/4 EBC836 CC tuba.
1) Put it carefully back in it's case.
2) Don't bump into things as you go from house to car to rehearsal/performance and back when it is over.
3) Drive to your destination instead of flying with the tuba rolling around in the belly of the plane and getting tossed by baggage handlers.

This system seems to always work best. :)
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
DiveBomber
bugler
bugler

Re: Travelling with Eastman 6/4 C

Post by DiveBomber »

I recently purchased one, but have not yet traveled with it. I do however have a friend who has one and has traveled with it. He told me that the case that the instrument comes with has a bit of an inherent flaw. The mouthpiece pocket/oil pocket thing-a-ma-gig doesn't have fantastic padding so if the case gets knocked on that side it will push into the instrument, potentially damaging it. My friend had this happen, which unfortunately resulted in a dent. He advised me to just take that part out and replace it with some foam to provide better security and support. Hopefully that makes some sense.