best mute for a Mirafone 186?

The bulk of the musical talk
kathott
bugler
bugler

best mute for a Mirafone 186?

Post by kathott »

Suggestions for mutes for a Mirafone 186?......back in the mute market......

Performance Mutes: I own two Humes and Berg, a Rittich (horn mute maker in Canada, discontinued) and an rattly old Apperson (quite acceptable). Am considering BALU and Wick too......

Practice mutes: Does anybody have direct experience with a Mirafone 186 CC paired with either a #6 or #5 Schlipf mute?
A #6 was tried in identical (older) Mirafones, with a very poor result. The catalogue actually recommends the #5, which I have yet to try.

K.
Last edited by kathott on Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
tubajazzo
bugler
bugler

Re: Mirafone 186 & Schlipf mute

Post by tubajazzo »

My tuba is a 186 Bb, with 45 cm bell diameter. The #5 Schlipf is the right size for that. Don't know about the CC model though.
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Post by Easy Mac »

Everything about the four bells (old, versus new flare size, BBb versus CC) are identical save for the flare diameter, which has nothing to do with mute fit, as this is a throat size issue. Just clarifying that. I have no help to give regarding the two mutes. Sorry. If a #5 is recommended it is for a reason: it is what fits. I would contact them via email. I am sure they will tell you the #6 does not work because it is the wrong size and to try a #5.

But isn't it always better to hear such stuff from a person who truly knows rather than some yobs on the Internet? :-)

Here you go… johann.schlipfinger@gmx.at
kathott
bugler
bugler

Post by kathott »

Thank you. Mutes are an inprecise science. I have since spoken with a knowledgeable rep. from Buddy Rogers music (the distributor). The challenge here is one of fine tuning the mute choice over distance. Tubas specs. change or vary. With respect to their fine product, the Schlipf numbering system is not the final word.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Post by Easy Mac »

Great! Looks like you have this all figured out, then. Good luck!