Pedal tones

The bulk of the musical talk
Pflaht
lurker
lurker

Pedal tones

Post by Pflaht »

I’m working on getting more solid on my pedal tones. Are there players, method books, or mouthpiece suggestions? I’m currently playing a PanAmerican sousaphone or a Conn 21J with either a conn Hellberg or Bach 12.
Thanks. Pat F
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Re: Pedal tones

Post by GeoffC_UK »

Hello Pat
Never had a lesson on this but I can tell you how I get it done.
There may be others that are more qualified, but here goes on my mechanics.....
(1) If your note production is poor then you will struggle down in the basement. So, make sure this is good before you move on. Get that diaphragmatic push going et al.
(2) Do not attempt to push more air through when pedalling as this doesn’t really help and is likely to hinder.
(3) Push your lower jaw slightly down & forward plus move the centre of your embouchure lower in the cup. You may also place more pressure on your lower and less on your upper lip than 'normal'. This is attempting to free-up your top lip so it can almost flap when hitting a pedal. These are all very slight adjustments.

Play around with these, but if someone gives you different advice that works for you better then marvellous.

Hear me try, going down to a low concert Bb in these videos:
https://youtu.be/Ova9W0WZ1LQ ( @ 49 secs) and
https://youtu.be/bt4YWtrwHA8 (@ 2 min 13 secs)

For the record the best pedaller I ever played with was Ian Hitchens - just wow!

Geoff
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Pedal tones

Post by DouglasJB »

What I tell people when working on range (either direction) work on both at the same time. Especially when working on high range, my #1 suggestion is to play low, learn how to control your air flow and embochure, once you can control these, it makes it easier. For low range, use the Beautiful sounds exercise if you can find it.