Hi to all. Does anyone have a recommendation on insurance companies
that insure tubas. As my son travels more and instruments get more expensive,
I was considering it for my sons tuba. Thanks
alazzeri
bugler
bugler

Re: Insurance on instruments

Post by alazzeri »

Clarion is pretty popular in the music world, though from my experience it seems to be a bit pricy. Your other option would be a personal articles policy on your homeowners insurance. I would ask a lot of questions regarding such a policy, to ensure that it will cover what you are expecting it to.

That said, from my experience, if you are trying to protect against damages to the tuba rather than loss or theft of the tuba, I may suggest a combination of the personal articles policy and a good flight case. I've never filed a claim with Clarion, but filed several in the past with a personal articles policy. I finally stopped because I was afraid that they would drop my policy. In short, if your son is traveling a lot, the tuba is likely to incur some level of damage (unless in a good flight case). Between the cost of the deductible and the risk of getting the policy cancelled, using the policy to protect against damages may not be your best bet. A good flight case and a personal articles policy (to protect against loss/theft) is the way to go, IMHO.
oscarcahue
bugler
bugler

Post by oscarcahue »

Maybe look into Lemonade Insurance. I think it's affordable and easy to use.
It's app based. I was considering getting it to cover my instruments but it meant I had to go get an appraisal first and never got around to it.
1940 Conn 32k Sousaphone
1962 Conn 20k Sousaphone
1920 Conn 38k Sousaphone
Wessex Bb Mighty Midget
Reynolds Contempora Bb Tuba
1965 King 1250 Sousaphone (Sold)
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

I’ve used MusicPro Insurance for over 10 years. And yes, I’ve actually had to submit claims over the years and they’ve come through fast and top-dollar each time. They’re underwritten by Hanover Insurance Group in Maryland, which is a legit family-owned firm. Can’t recommend them enough.

https://www.musicproinsurance.com/
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

oscarcahue wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:22 pm Maybe look into Lemonade Insurance. I think it's affordable and easy to use.
It's app based. I was considering getting it to cover my instruments but it meant I had to go get an appraisal first and never got around to it.
I use Lemonade for my homeowners’ insurance, but they’re clueless when is comes to setting up nuanced PPI plans/riders. MusicPro expertly covers my newer and vintage horns and boutique bass gear without asking me to jump through hoops.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

All of my insurance is through State Farm. My policy for my Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC is for replacement coverage based on the price of a brand new instrument, using an appraisal from Lee Stofer.

It also covered the cost of making repairs due to accidental damage when I dropped it. Price for the policy is very reasonable, IMO.
Andy
Fritztuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Fritztuba »

I second MusicPro.
TubaRagnarok
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaRagnarok »

I use State Farm for the insurance for my horns. They were able to do add the ridder to my home owners with very little hassle and cost's lest the $30 per year for 20K of coverage. They all look like reasonable suggestions, Homeowners policies usually provide for high value items you want extra coverage for so State Farm shouldn't be unique if you have other's renter/home owners. '
Willson 3400FCS Eb
1888-89 Conn Eb
1921 King Eb
2015 MackBrunner BBb