My Review for the Wessex BBb Mini Jazz tuba – TB162 Lacquer

The bulk of the musical talk
Epps
lurker
lurker

My Review for the Wessex BBb Mini Jazz tuba – TB162 Lacquer

Post by Epps »

Hello All: I used this site to do research on the Wessex horn line and thought it would be best to post my review of the horn here. I hope others that are looking for a smaller horn will find it usefull.

Overall, I am very pleased with the horn. I recommend getting a F horn mouthpiece, I ended up with a Denis Wick 3LS. Without the new mouthpiece, I would have only given it three stars out of five.

I am 66 years old and wanted a smaller horn to enable me to keep playing. Also, I work with the local middle school band and jazz band. Having a horn that I can walk around with is a big help. It does take time to get used to it, and you need to think the notes. You just cannot press a valve and have the note fall into place centered. It makes you work to sound good and this is the trade off for gittting a smaller horn.

The valves are quick, easy to use, and quiet! The sound is genuinely nice once you get used to it and upgrade the mouthpiece. It is not free blowing like a full-sized tuba, more like a baritone. The finish and workmanship are very good and the case is well padded meaning transport should not be a problem.

Keep in mind, it does not have the sound/power of a full-sized horn, so it will never be a complete replacement for my St. Peter. But it is great for 90% of time I need to play. For concerts I will use my "big" horn, but it's so easy to reach in the case and pull out the mini for a quick practice. Being able to stand and play is great and carrying it to and from school will be so much easier. This is a fun horn to play and I'll give it a five star rating for what it can do not what it can't do. Also the price is not out of line for what you get. Remember, it was not purchased for a big sound or as a replacement for my St Peter.
Last edited by Epps on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oscarcahue
bugler
bugler

Re: My Review for the Wessex BBb Mini Jazz tuba – TB162 Lacquer

Post by oscarcahue »

Awesome! It'd be interesting to see a video of it! I don't think there is any!
I have a Wessex Bb Mighty Midget and read that the Jazz is 3x as loud due to the bell.
It does make it bigger however so slightly less compact!
1940 Conn 32k Sousaphone
1962 Conn 20k Sousaphone
1920 Conn 38k Sousaphone
Wessex Bb Mighty Midget
Reynolds Contempora Bb Tuba
1965 King 1250 Sousaphone (Sold)
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

Epps wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:01 am It does take time to get used to it, and you need to think the notes. You just cannot press a valve and have the note fall into place centered. It makes you work to sound good.
That doesn’t sound good.
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I have the Eb/F version of this horn. All the thing noted are true. They are a bit mouthpiece sensitive and good sound is harder because these horns seem to emphasize your mistakes in embrasure and mouthpiece pressure. I use mine mostly for practice. It really helps me produce the clearest most resinate sound. If I make an error in mouthpiece pressure or embrasure I hear it right away. It also helps with air management and flow.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5