Input on Tuba Choice

The bulk of the musical talk
TubaRagnarok
bugler
bugler

Input on Tuba Choice

Post by TubaRagnarok »

Hi all,
I'm an older player looking at getting back to CC after a couple of decades of playing Eb in brass band. I'm looking at getting getting one of the horns and wanted to see what the community thought about them. They are
A few thing to know about why these 3:
  • They are in my price range as new or used models
  • I'm a lets say well seasoned tuba play who no longer feels able to fill up a big horn, so I'm looking for 3/4 model
  • My paid playing days are now behind me so I don't foresee playing in any group bigger that a small ensemble or community orchestra/band
  • I want a CC instead of BBb because before I started Brass Banding I was an orchestral CC player
  • Still planning to so some quintets, etc so I would like the best horn I can afford, so I'm not looking for the best possible
  • Other suggestions are very welcome and if you have seen one for sale please let me know/list]
    • Price range around 3K tops 4K
    Thanks
    Eddie
Last edited by TubaRagnarok on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willson 3400FCS Eb
1888-89 Conn Eb
1921 King Eb
2015 MackBrunner BBb
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Input on Tuba Choice

Post by T. J. Ricer »

Of the three you listed, I would choose the St. Pete, but it is also probably the beefiest of the three, if that is not what you’re looking for.

Are you set on rotors? A used Yamaha 621 CC might fall into that price range and check all your boxes.

-T. J.
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

Of those 3, I'd go with the St. Pete but I'd look closely at a Cerveny Piggy which should be close on price and right tool for what you described.
Rob. Just Rob.
TubaRagnarok
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaRagnarok »

Thanks, the St. Pete right now is my lowest priced option and is in silver which I prefer.
Willson 3400FCS Eb
1888-89 Conn Eb
1921 King Eb
2015 MackBrunner BBb
BTripp
bugler
bugler

Post by BTripp »

Good afternoon Eddie.. I have a Cerveny piggy for sale that seems like it could be a perfect fit and I see another post made that suggestion. See my ad in the for sale section or hit me back for more details. I am located northwest Indianapolis. Good luck. Bernie
BTripp
bugler
bugler

Post by BTripp »

Eddie, not sure your status here, but I would discuss trade with your wilson 3400 if still have that and thinking about making a change with it towards my cerveny piggy if that interests you. Have a great weekend. Bernie