Getting back in...sousaphone choice

The bulk of the musical talk
micolatte
bugler
bugler

Getting back in...sousaphone choice

Post by micolatte »

Getting back into NoLa bands and perfrming with them...what's your sousa of choice for this genre? I have an old Reynolds fibreglass body with a very old Martin bell (it's a sweet horn) but am looking for an upgrade as the body is starting to wear and tear...THANKS!
Chris Michelotti
UW-Milwaukee B.A.
UW-Milwaukee M.M.
-------------------
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Getting back in...sousaphone choice

Post by jbaylies »

Conn 20K is the gold standard.

Conn 22K is great too, if you prefer fiberglass.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

And the Conn 20K is very heavy. The conventional wisdom used to be to get a used Conn 14k/36k, King, Olds, Reynolds to get back in. I don't know if there are any modern souzys worth the money to do that.

Frankly, the one you have, cleaned up, may be just fine.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

NoLa players tend to prefer King sousas; at least that is what 'bloke' had stated on here in the past.
Personal preference -- play what you like. What type of sound are you going for? Weight?

I don't do NoLa music, but wish there were more opportunities to lug out my old Conn 14k, as it is a fun sousa to play on :tuba:
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

toobagrowl wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:00 am NoLa players tend to prefer King sousas; at least that is what 'bloke' had stated on here in the past.
Personal preference -- play what you like. What type of sound are you going for? Weight?

I don't do NoLa music, but wish there were more opportunities to lug out my old Conn 14k, as it is a fun sousa to play on. :tuba:
Indeed. I concur. I play a U-bass with a husband-wife ukulele duo (Uke66 on facebook), and he has mentioned a couple of songs that they play that sound more like trad-jazz than stereotypical ukulele repertoire that he has wondered about tuba/souzy. I'm going to convince him to put a few songs together as a mini-set that I can switch to souzy to get some variety to an outdoor gig.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

Here's some 20K recordings:
Damon Bryson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB4oFu4BtQ8
Raphael Buyo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrCyU_1zw0
Philipp Westermann https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKFbnhcNnjE
Kirk Joseph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxI5cB35VHE

I'd be interested in a list of King recordings. I've never played one so I can't identify them easily.
tubaphillips
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubaphillips »

Conn 20K is the standard piece of equipment for that style of playing. Preferably a naked lady era model. I don’t know where bloke got the idea that kings were standard in NOLA. This thread is the first I’ve heard that. A 14K would be great too if you can find one. Eastman has a sousa in the works, but so far no retailers have any.
Harry Phillips
1954 Conn Naked Lady 20K
Wayne Rice
bugler
bugler

Post by Wayne Rice »

I have the new Eastman and it is amazing. I knew a guy.

I also have a 1940s Reynolds, which is lighter than the Eastman and nearly as good. What makes the Reynolds so light is the bell. It does not have the honking power of a bigger King or Conn, but it is incredibly easy to play (like the Eastman). I cannot recommend an old Reynolds enough or perhaps an Olds. The 20K is a standard, but it is heavy, and in my opinion, woofy.

If you interested in the Reynolds, PM me.
Keep playing, because expression is life.
Wayne Rice
bugler
bugler

Post by Wayne Rice »

I should add that I play in New Orleans style brass band. Before the pandemic we were paying 70-75 gigs a year. It was something that came late in my life; I was 48 when I started in the band in 2011. My background was mostly classical, with three summers playing in amusement parks in the 80s.

I have played three sousaphones with the band: a Frank C. Holton from the 50s, the Reynolds which dates from the 40s and the Eastman 495. I also played a 20k a couple of times and a few other borrowed horns, including an amazing helicon.

My favorite is the Eastman, though I have played it maybe 5 times in gig situations because of the pandemic. Thinks are picking back up, so I am hoping to have more time with it.

The Reynolds is very light and easy to play. I got it from Borodi Music in Cleveland, which overhauls many sousaphones (and other band instruments). I tried several before I picked the Reynolds. If you are close to Cleveland, I recommend contacting them ahead of time and playing what they have.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

^ Is Borodi Music still around? I had thought Beeman Brass Works bought up their equipment :?:

The new Eastman sousa looks like a loose copy of the old King/Cleveland sousas; looks nice :tuba:

Of course, the John Packer sousa also looks like a copy of the King 2350 sousa, so .... :P

Several years ago, Eastman had a different model sousa that looked like a copy of the Yamaha 411 sousa. But maybe they don't make that model anymore? Anyone know :idea: :?:
Wayne Rice
bugler
bugler

Post by Wayne Rice »

Borodi Music is not closed. I spoke with someone there today. They are still selling reconditioned horns, though they are no longer doing repairs or restorations for third parties it sounds like.

I played the John Packer at NAAM. I could not fit into it. Granted, I am a large man (300lb+), but I have never not been able to fit into a sousaphone comfortably. I recall that it played fine; I wasn't that impressed one way or the other. I think the benchmark for the Eastman was an Olds. Really an amazing instrument. I played a two-hour gig yesterday with it and it sounded amazing. Now, I just have to get in good enough shape to wring out its full potential.