Lee Stofer's "Air Corps" Geib rocks my "Neptune" world

The bulk of the musical talk
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Lee Stofer's "Air Corps" Geib rocks my "Neptune" world

Post by barry grrr-ero »

After Joe Sellmansberger took out the crimp in my smaller Neptune mouthpiece (thank you, Joe) and John Thomas relocated the brace at the receiver (the pipe sits a bit higher on the bell now), I decided to look for a better tuba/mouthpiece match. Lee Stofer suggested that his "Air Corp" Geib would go well with the smaller pipe, while his regular version would still be a good match for the bigger pipe. He was right!

Ease of playing is not an attribute I'd normally assign to the "Neptune". Yet, that's pretty much what it is when using my new Air Corps Geib. I like the fact that Lee did not make radical changes to his basic Geib - the differences are fairly subtle. But it does exactly for the Neptune/smaller pipe combo that Lee said it would do. I still have other m.p.'s I use at different times.

For chamber settings I'll use my Dillon/Sheridan S1 Geib, which came with a Besson 983 I once owned. For a darker sound, I really like my Sellmansberger Symphony model with the 32.9 Profundo rim. For really 'big blows', I'll use my Tucci RT-50+ (heavy weight). Those are all good. But the rim and the proportions of the Stofer Geib make it a great 'every day', multi-purpose mouthpiece on this beast. For Renaissance and baroque brass works, I'm using my F cimbasso more often anyway.

Thank you Lee for coming up with a great mouthpiece.

Barry Guerrero