CC and BBb tubas playing together?

The bulk of the musical talk
Old Tuba Guy
bugler
bugler

Re: CC and BBb tubas playing together?

Post by Old Tuba Guy »

Of the 6 community bands and orchestras I've played in, the tuba section has been the least of the intonation worries. Saxes, clarinets, and oboes seem to have the toughest time of it, both individually and as sections. CC and BBb tubas together shouldn't be much of an issue, so play what makes you smile.
weops
lurker
lurker

Post by weops »

I echo Tyler Ferris’s reply. The player’s ability to play in-tune makes the choice of Tuba not so important. Years ago I played in a Brass Band (Grammercy Brass) 4 Tuba Section. We had one of each: CC, BBb, Eb and F. Intonation was not a problem because the players were experienced musicians with good ears.
Having said that, If the players are occasional or inexperienced, then all having the same-pitched Horns might help.
(10 minutes matching pitches with a Tuner twice a week does amazing things for intonation).
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by tclements »

NOPE. Playing in tune is playing in tune.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

iiipopes wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:05 pm
royjohn wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:34 am I'm not following you...I can read bass clef from my piano studies and choral music...it's just seeing the C and having to finger it 1-3 that gets me.
Yes, if you are used to reading concert pitch notation bass clef in other contexts, I can see how a CC tuba might be a little easier than a BBb tuba for the reason stated. I play keys and bass and guitar as well as low brass, so I have to read everything, including the octave transposed charts for bass guitar/double bass, especially in a jazz band. Since as a freshman in high school I learned BBb tuba fingerings marching with a souzy, I am fine with the BBb fingerings or the CC fingerings. But I see your point.
royjohn
I'm a bit late to the thread, but your situation is exactly what I faced as a Trumpet player from HS, then a (primarily) T.C. euphonium reader for many years. I studied Piano from early elementary through HS as well so I am a natural T.C. and B.C. reader. About 12 years ago I moved to Tuba on CC and it was mostly seamless re: fingerings although many other tuba related skills needed much attention. Aside from alternate fingerings for tendencies and learning fifth valve combinations, the fingerings are the same as reading TC on a Bb Trumpet. I can play Bb Tuba, but the "on the fly" transposition up a step and adding 2 sharps still scrambles my brain somewhat, just as many Bb Tuba players experience with CC. We all have different skills and capabilities. I find that focusing on CC has allowed me to improve in the craft immensely and really enjoy making music. Regarding mixed key Tubas in a section together, keep in mind that in the average community ensemble, you may sit in proximity to people who have questionable intonation and lack of knowledge of their instrument's tendencies. It's not a matter of who is in correctly "in tune." Sometimes for a section to play in tune in this type of situation, it takes someone with the knowledge and skill to play out of tune for the good of the section at times, like BBb and CC tubas together on that second space C someone mentioned above. Have fun and enjoy yourself!
:tuba:
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)