Pan American Eb

The bulk of the musical talk
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Pan American Eb

Post by Jim Brewer »

I just recently acquired a Pan American Eb dated to 1951 according to the serial number. It plays 15-20 cents flat on every note. I’m using a Herco Eb mouthpiece. I can’t complain as the horn was a gift from a fellow tubist. However I would like to be able to play it in tune.

I have found no leaks from the receiver down to the 1st valve.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I have the main tuning slide cut?

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Meinl Weston model 30 CC #147
Pan American Eb 52J
Selmer Paris K-modified trombone
Shenandoah Conservatory '79
TheodoreSmith
bugler
bugler

Re: Pan American Eb

Post by TheodoreSmith »

Is it the right shank?
B&S PT-7PS
Yamaha Yeb-321
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

It appears to be. My other mouthpieces will not fit down into the receiver as far as the Herco.
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Pan American Eb 52J
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

Had the same problem with a Besson Imperial Eb tuba. Dont cut the main tuning slide, you will regret it if or when you need to pull it long to play with a flat organ or piano. Better find one of the secondary bows, and ask your tech to cut a bit there, leaving the full tuning slide lenght intact. Worked like a charm.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
Yane
bugler
bugler

Post by Yane »

Second on the don’t cut the slide. Maybe try some other mouthpieces, presumably bass bone shank? I have an Eb that just didn’t work with the usual smallish mouthpieces one expects to work on an Eb; the bigger the mouthpiece the happier it is.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Funny you say that! I have a Pan-Am 3 valve Eb that leaks just about everywhere, and has had some pretty bad "repair" done to the leadpipe and receiver, yet it plays in tune with my Conn Helleberg even being all taped up. I'd second playing around with mouthpieces!
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Post by Matt Walters »

The Pan Am Eb tubas I have seen most often, have all played flat like they were made to play low pitch. It's actually easier to cut the small branch with little taper and solder it back in place. That leaves the main tuning slide long in case you need some extra pull on a hot summer outdoor concert.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
Jim Brewer
bugler
bugler

Post by Jim Brewer »

After playing for a while I started hearing a buzzing on certain notes. Doing an real in-depth inspection, I found the. Ow bow loose at the bell ferrule. Also someone had removed the bottom bow for what ever reason and did not get it seated back into the original position. I didn’t find that until I cleaned off some excess solder. At a guess, I’d say the horn tubing is about 3/16 to a 1/4 inch longer than it should be.

Next, either I tackle the bottom bow myself or make an hour drive to a repair shop.
Jim Brewer
Eastman 832
Pan American Eb 52J
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

Matt Walters wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:41 am The Pan Am Eb tubas I have seen most often, have all played flat like they were made to play low pitch. It's actually easier to cut the small branch with little taper and solder it back in place. That leaves the main tuning slide long in case you need some extra pull on a hot summer outdoor concert.
This is the proper solution.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Post by ghmerrill »

After years of struggling off and on with different approaches to pitch and intonation on my 1924 Buescher Eb -- which WAS low pitch and which I cut -- I finally (about two weeks ago) replaced the original receiver with a contemporary standard one. I'm now using a Schilke 66 mouthpiece on it, it plays in tune pretty much everywhere without correction (needed a bit in slow passages only on one or two 2+3 combinations), and the timbre is a lot better. I know this violates the "these old Eb tubas need a small mouthpiece" orthodoxy, but that just never worked for me, and I can't tell you how many variations (tuba, bass trombone, euphonium, contrabass trombone) of small mouthpieces with that old smaller shank size I tried. It was never one of the best tubas on the planet, but now it's a very usable and dependable horn. I suspect there's a lot of variation amongst these beasts, both in terms of original pitch and in how they respond to attempts at modification.
Gary Merrill

Wessex EEb tuba (Wick 3XL)
Amati oval euph (DE LN106J6Es)
Mack Brass euph (DE LN106J9)
Buescher 1924 Eb, std rcvr, Kelly 25
Schiller bass trombone (DE LB/J/J9/Lexan 110, Brass Ark MV50R)
Olds '47 Standard trombone (mod. Kelly 12c)
jacobg
3 valves
3 valves

Post by jacobg »

I use a modern Dennis Wick 3 on my diminutive 1890s Conn Eb and it plays in tune.
I used to have one of these Conn student 1950s Ebs and it worked well with either a bass trombone mouthpiece or a Chinese knockoff of a Wick (used to find those on ebay but not sure if they are there anymore).