Can someone identify this tuba?

The bulk of the musical talk
ETuba
lurker
lurker

Can someone identify this tuba?

Post by ETuba »

Hello,
In a Detroit vintage store, I found a 1985 East Berlin photo of the Bolschewistische Kurkapelle Schwarz-Rot, a group that still is active today. The type of tuba is not known to me. Extra points for the name of the Tubaspielerin!
E Tuba
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kontrabasstuba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Can someone identify this tuba?

Post by kontrabasstuba »

This is a F Tuba, Kurt Knoth, Markneukirchen ...
TheBerlinerTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TheBerlinerTuba »

Hey Etuba,

The tuba is a 1950s VEB F-Tuba(precursor to B&S, not a Knoth or Knopf which although look similar, are quite different in their taper and bore size)
Regardless of what the photo says, it was taken in the summer of 1987 in Dresden and the tubist was a sub for the event.
The player prefers to remain anonymous, but is grateful you found the photograph. She lives about 5 min away from my workshop and still has the same F-Tuba although she has misplaced the sunglasses. She says thank you for the good memories:)
You can read articles about similar instrument here at https://brassandpipes.wordpress.com

Cheers from Berlin,
TheBerlinerTuba
ETuba
lurker
lurker

Post by ETuba »

Thank you, kontrabasstuba and TheBerlinerTuba, for replying.

ETuba
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lee Stofer »

I have seen, and have worked on exactly one tuba that looks like this. The engraving was,
"Meister R. Otto Weller, MIGMA." I understand that MIGMA was a GDR-era conglomerate, which
either included Herr Weller, or at least used his name. Ausserdem kenne ich den Namen der
Tubistin nicht. . .
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.