community concert bands

The bulk of the musical talk
vintage7512
bugler
bugler

community concert bands

Post by vintage7512 »

Any of you out there that can tell me if your local community bands have started up? I am looking to travel and maybe sit in somewhere interesting to visit - especially looking in the northeast US in the next month or so. Found a few have begun rehearsing, but not most yet. Got all my shots!

Steve
ronr
bugler
bugler

Re: community concert bands

Post by ronr »

Lots of bands up and running in Minneapolis area
Old Tuba Guy
bugler
bugler

Post by Old Tuba Guy »

ronr wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:44 pm Lots of bands up and running in Minneapolis area
Same thing up here between Brainerd and Fargo.
Old Guy
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

A few in NW Georgia started up for the 4th.

My local group had four rehearsals and put on a pretty creditable concert. We did well for not having played together for a year and 3 months. It was a surprisingly large (65) and well-balanced group for such a long break. The groups I'm in have been dependent on public schools and colleges for rehearsal space, and we've had to abide by their restrictions.

We have a full schedule planned for this upcoming season, but everything is dependent on public health issues and the effects of denial of reality by too many people.
Last edited by GC on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

We've been in continuous operation except for the last two weeks of March 2020 when our rehearsal venue closed. We moved outside to parking lots all Summer and then rented an inside auditorium through the Winter. We recently returned to the middle school bandroom where we were in early 2020. We meet on Tuesday evenings from 6:30 to 8:30. The Old Dam Community Band is located in Newburgh, Indiana... just a few miles east of Evansville, Indiana. Rehearsals are open to all wind and percussion instruments. PM me if you want to drop by.
Last edited by Dan Schultz on Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

I'm aware of one, maybe two in the Richmond Virginia area.

I haven't been to either myself since the reopening so can't tell you much more. The one I'm sure of has Monday night rehearsals with all comers.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

The vintage band festival is going on in Northfield, MN soon, so I assume many community bands are up and running now. https://vintagebandfestival.org/
tbone1004
lurker
lurker

Post by tbone1004 »

Greenville SC has had concert band and orchestra since fall of 2020. With face masks, with bell covers, outdoors, socially distanced, etc. but since May we have been "back to normal". Just finished the outdoor pops concerts and will be back with regular rehearsals in August.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

timothy42b wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:27 am I'm aware of one, maybe two in the Richmond Virginia area.

I haven't been to either myself since the reopening so can't tell you much more. The one I'm sure of has Monday night rehearsals with all comers.
A second band in the Richmond area will start August 11.
vintage7512
bugler
bugler

Post by vintage7512 »

Thanks for the responses. It seems as if we may have put the cart before the horse as the Delta variant is rearing its ugly head, and I may have to keep mine down. I am hoping my vaccination stays effective. That may now be in some doubt.
Boomer
bugler
bugler

Post by Boomer »

NE GA, we had a July 4th Concert at about half strength. Could not rehearse in usual place, local HS.

First "real" rehearsal" tomorrow, Tues, Aug. 10 at said HS. Mask mandate in force, supposed to wear masks anytime not blowing the horn. Going to be hell on the percussionists. I guess.

We can come close to maintaining social distancing , although at this point, I'm not sure what is the point. Not sure of the consequences of being in a band room filled with a couple of hundred unvaccinated children all day. Not sure of the consequences of being in a room with 50 or so mostly unvaccinated adults huffing and puffing on various instruments.
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

I'm really hoping that my little band here in Matthews, NC gets off to a good start soon. At 47 years old, I'm one of the youngest players in the band--so obviously--COVID-19 is a big concern for many. We played a Memorial Day concert, which was great! The park was absolutely PACKED! I had to sight-read that show; due to other commitments I missed the rehearsals. But the music was simple, and we had a great time! Living out here in the country, it's really the only opportunity I have to play out these days.

But in the back of my mind, in a crazy way, from time-to-time, I think about that vacancy in the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra. I haven't seen any audition news for quite some time-since Aubrey left, but wouldn't it be interesting if an old fart like me decided to audition, after all these years working as a filmmaker and music supervisor?

If I really decided to do that, I think I'd vlog the whole experience.

Chances I'd win an audition after fifteen years since my last paid LIVE gig....

You make the call.

:P
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps