Military Band Audition Question

The bulk of the musical talk
DiveBomber
bugler
bugler

Military Band Audition Question

Post by DiveBomber »

Can a member of a Marine field band audition for the Presidents' Own, or does their current service disqualify them from trying? I would think they can because they are already in that branch, so on the chance that they win they would be able to transfer. But I have no real idea.
tubamarc8891
bugler
bugler

Re: Military Band Audition Question

Post by tubamarc8891 »

Usually auditioning within your own service is the easiest. It really depends on your command’s ability to accommodate you being gone. Ive never had an issue auditioning for the Navy Band (I’m in the Navy Fleet Bands). The issues arise with auditioning for other services. Sometimes the Navy won’t let people leave or other services won’t let prior service in (this is the current policy in the Air Force :x ).

Are you already in the Marine Fleet Bands?
U.S. Army Band “Pershing’s Own”
Wessex Chicago Presence CC
Eastman 866 F
DiveBomber
bugler
bugler

Post by DiveBomber »

Not yet, I passed my audition and went through meps. I ship on October 4th.
Colby Fahrenbacher
bugler
bugler

Post by Colby Fahrenbacher »

The short answer is maybe and it can depend on a ton of different factors at the time of the audition. Here are some things that may prevent you from being able to take an audition:

- not accepting prior service
- Commander elects to not release you from your current assignment
- current mission requirements conflict with audition date and prevent you from travelling to the audition
- minimum time on station requirements not met (typically there is a certain amount of time that you have to be at a location before the military will move you again)
- retainability not met (probably wouldn't come up with a premiere band, but if an assignment requires three years of an enlistment and you only have two until your contract is up, you would need to either extend your enlistment or re-enlist to meet the retainability requirement. This would probably only occur with a premiere band if you had already served for like 19 years and would be retiring shortly. There might be other exceptions though).

At the very least, moving within a branch is/should be easier than switching branches. Within a branch requires changing job codes (which surely has it's own complications). Switching branches requires leaving one service and enlisting in another, unless there is program to streamline in.

Things change over time though, and as many reasons as there may seem to be preventing you from pursuing opportunities, there are just many exceptions being made. Never assume it is impossible. Get the job done the best you can while fostering a good professional relationship with your supervisors and they should be willing to fight for you to pursue your goals.

Hope this was helpful, and best of luck!
Former tubist, USAF Bands
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

That is an interesting question, for a reason you apparently don't even realize. The President's Own members do not go through boot camp and are not actually enlisted in the same way other Marines are. It's more of a contract situation. Maybe someone who's closer to it can answer better.

So you're already partway into the enlistment process, and I'm not sure how that would affect things, but if there's an audition happening I would think you can take it if they accept you based on a preliminary recording.
DiveBomber
bugler
bugler

Post by DiveBomber »

There is no audition going on right now. I was just curious about the scenario in the future.
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

When I was in the Air Force I think the rule was you had to have 2 years in your current assignment, and permission from your commander, to take an audition someplace else.
wagnertuba262
lurker
lurker

Post by wagnertuba262 »

I would advise you to contact the President’s Own Operations Office to get an official answer regarding the President’s Own audition requirements and their experience with USMC field band commander’s releasing musicians from their bands. Keep in mind that the official answer today might not be the policy when a position opens in the future.

I have known of musicians in regular field bands winning DC band auditions and joining as well as rare cases where a musician was accepted to a DC audition and is not released by the commander. So, at least based on my past experiences, being in a field band was not an automatic disqualification, but again the President’s Own Operations Office would be the official resource to get the current answer to you questions.

In the meantime, proudly serve, enjoy the start of your career, take advantage of every opportunity, and give it 100%.
Don

Hirsbrunner HB2 CC (1983)
Besson BE980 e-flat (circa 1971) with pedigree
Meinl Weston 2182 f-tuba (circa 2018)
Wilson 2704 Euphonium
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Colby Fahrenbacher wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:06 pm The short answer is maybe and it can depend on a ton of different factors at the time of the audition. Here are some things that may prevent you from being able to take an audition:
----
Hope this was helpful, and best of luck!
This (and wagnertuba262's post) was the correct answer. Your own availability and the audition opportunity need to align.

Keep in mind, too, that with any of the music positions, your time on the instrument is only part of the job description. Secondary billets include operations, admin, unit training, and more, and you'll have opportunities to build your skills beyond just playing the horn. Take advantage of anything that comes your way.