Grad School Applying

Topics regarding life as a professional
TwoAxe
lurker
lurker

Grad School Applying

Post by TwoAxe »

Hello all,

I am a student who is on the verge of ending his undergrad very soon in music education. I really want to apply for grad schools, but I hardly know anything about where the good programs are and where the great professors are. My studio professor has given me a few names, but I wanted to see what you all would recommend checking out?
Douglas
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Re: Grad School Applying

Post by Douglas »

Go check out Andy Rummel at Illinois State University.
Doug Black, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music, Alabama A&M University
Eastman Tuba Artist
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

Also make a list of music markets you’d like to be in or near. And compare that to your teacher list. A great school in the cornfields may not be near enough to Chicago to grant you playing opportunities, but might have other pluses.

As a grad, you’ll want more pro experiences, whether quintet, orchestra subbing, teaching opportunities, clinic work, etc.

Also consider who teaches conducting, jazz, composition/arranging, etc, if you want to extend your studies to music business, conducting, etc. to broaden your future work opportunities.
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

Matt Hightower is doing great things and seeing some great results at Kentucky.

UK is a historically excellent tuba program - Rex Conner, Skip Gray and now Matt doing work. The School of Music is excellent and sees national and international placements. Lexington's a cool city and you're right between the Midwest and the South. Worth checking out.