Just listened to Audition tapes

Topics regarding life as a professional
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Just listened to Audition tapes

Post by WoodSheddin »

just listened to some Audition tapes

#1 play a great musical line with direction and flow, don't fall too in love with your own sound or the line gets stuck, forward motion always, say something besides individual syllables or you sound like a toddler
#2 always play in tune and play in time when appropriate which is most of the time
#3 on a recording blasting loud just sounds shrill
#4 put what you do near the top of your resume. I review a lot of resumes for all kinds of positions. don't make me dig around to find out you play the tuba
#5 please please please refer back to #1

if you tell a story in tune and with a pleasant, appropriate sound you are 90% there
sean chisham
johnhadden
bugler
bugler

Re: listed to Audition tapes

Post by johnhadden »

Love this. ^
John Hadden
Brass Development Coordinator, Buffet Crampon USA
(904) 412-3682
john.hadden@buffetcrampon.com" target="_blank
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

bloke wrote:#6 If you don't think you will be chosen, you are correct, and don't punish those assigned to filter through tapes. They are not your teachers.
True

and #7: at a live audition long ago, the last player of the 1st round was dismissed early because it was plainly obvious this person was smoking awesome. The person was crushed after they played (usually that means 'you're done' or 'no thank you') and packed up only to be recommended to be given a job after the 3rd round.

Don't punish the messenger. :tuba:
--farah chisham
Watchman
bugler
bugler

Post by Watchman »

For the last year and a half, every time I pop into the forum and see that the typo in the subject line of this thread is still there, it drives me crazy. Will someone get in there and change "listed" to "listened". Also, capitalize that L. What if some violin players popped in here one day? They would think we were just a bunch of drunken idiots. We can't have that!
gregsundt
Undecided
Undecided

Post by gregsundt »

Watchman wrote:For the last year and a half, every time I pop into the forum and see that the typo in the subject line of this thread is still there, it drives me crazy. Will someone get in there and change "listed" to "listened". Also, capitalize that L. What if some violin players popped in here one day? They would think we were just a bunch of drunken idiots. We can't have that!
We can't?
"The only problem with that tuba is, it does everything you tell it to!" - Robert LeBlanc
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

gregsundt wrote:
Watchman wrote:For the last year and a half, every time I pop into the forum and see that the typo in the subject line of this thread is still there, it drives me crazy. Will someone get in there and change "listed" to "listened". Also, capitalize that L. What if some violin players popped in here one day? They would think we were just a bunch of drunken idiots. We can't have that!
We can't?
We're not!?
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
gwwilk
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Just listened to Audition tapes

Post by gwwilk »

Problem solved by an anonymous admin. :lol: :tuba:
Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com