Accord Cases Bookmark and Share

Topics regarding life as a professional

Accord Cases

Postby MikeMilnarik » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:36 pm

Hello Everyone!

Anyone have experience with Accord Cases? Is there someplace that sells them in the U.S.?

Thanks,

Mike Milnarik
www.milnarik.com

MILNARIK BRASS
INNOVATA
COSMOPOLITAN TUBA QUARTET

Tufts University & Brandeis University
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Accord Cases

Postby the elephant » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:41 am

I think they still only sell them in Europe. Talk to Joe Exley (TubaJoe on TN). I believe he has the first ever case they made for tuba, which was for his 1978 (or so) 186-4U CC, and they made their production case from that. They may now have other models, but my impression from their website is that they are in three generic sizes and are adjusted via velcro-attached pillows. They are still very expensive.

Joe knows a lot about them and has a nice article about his case somewhere on his website.

For all you do, this " target="_blank's for you.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 am

Based on what I've seen (a friend owns one, and has flown with it several times),

They seem to me to be a good substitute for an everyday-use tuba bag (hard shell, yet not as heavy as a typical hard case), but (again, based on what I've seen) I would not put one in the belly of an airliner...at least, not with my instrument inside of it.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Scott Sutherland » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 pm

I flew with one dozens of times with Presidio Brass. Held up really well, though Charlotte airport baggage handlers managed to bust off one of the wheels. Never experienced any damage to the horn.
Scott Sutherland
Artist Teacher of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Redlands
Eastman Music Company Artist and Clinician
https://www.youtube.com/c/scottsutherlandmusic
https://www.scottsutherlandmusic.com
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Postby MikeMilnarik » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks, Guys! I appreciate your feedback!

A question though, based on Joe's feedback ... Are they not considered a flight case and Scott - did you just get lucky there was no damage to the horn, or are they protective enough to fly with?

Mike Milnarik
www.milnarik.com

MILNARIK BRASS
INNOVATA
COSMOPOLITAN TUBA QUARTET

Tufts University & Brandeis University
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Ask this person about repeated airline-related instrument damage, and - eventually - the wheels being smashed into the cortex:
:arrow: https://www.facebook.com/austin.howle
bloke

Postby itai » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Got mine 2 years ago through Quality Strings. The guy’s name was Lance and the whole procedure was smooth, took about 3-4 months.
I’ve flown with it over 10 times and haven’t had any bad luck, except for one time when TSA apes didn’t close the case correctly. Never got oversize charge either, so it’s probably paid off by now if I were using aluminum flight case. Those screw bell trollies are likely more ideal if you travel frequently, but I recommend it. Pretty sure there’s a nice warrenty on the shell too.
Itai Agmon
Minnesota Opera Orchestra
itai
bugler
bugler

Postby Scott Sutherland » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:22 am

MikeMilnarik wrote:Thanks, Guys! I appreciate your feedback!

A question though, based on Joe's feedback ... Are they not considered a flight case and Scott - did you just get lucky there was no damage to the horn, or are they protective enough to fly with?

Mike Milnarik

I had much worse luck with other cases, particularly the plastic Yamaha cases. Take that for what it's worth.
Scott Sutherland
Artist Teacher of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Redlands
Eastman Music Company Artist and Clinician
https://www.youtube.com/c/scottsutherlandmusic
https://www.scottsutherlandmusic.com
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 pm

my opinions, based on my experiences:

Plastic Yamaha cases are "give-away/free-with-the-instrument" cases, and (ever since the old-era black more-substantial wooden ones were abandoned) mostly are very thin plastic shells over styrofoam. In this way (other than not being made of exotic materials, and not being super-expensive) they are sort of like the lightweight Accord cases...a hard-shelled carry-around. Thin plastic - typically - is (only) slightly more flexible, and - up to a certain point - will bend...rather than cracking...but thin carbon fiber is more stiff/less flexible than thin plastic and (under similar extreme abuse) will tend to crack, rather than flex. The very newest-generation Yamaha thin-plastic cases (since the era of an epic move to Chinese production), in contrast to older Yamaha thin-plastic free-with-the-instrument cases, seem to be made of a more brittle plastic. I just replaced a newest-generation Yamaha euphonium case (for a school) with a generic case. The case (pre-destruction) offered very slick cosmetics, but the plastic was so thin and so brittle that (as my trash cart was always full) I was able to (just using my hands) easily break up the already-destroyed cortex into small shards of plastic, so they would all fit into the cart.

Again, I would place neither underneath an airliner, and (were it that I were a professional player in a big dysfunctinal city featuring routine traffic jams, no-or-$50 parking, etc., and had to always use public transportation) I would likely select the Accord as a "hard bag" to carry my instruments from place-to-place...this: assuming my instrument was deemed to work at least __ times the cost of an Accord case.

Orchestras of international renown - that tour - use super-duty trunks (stored at their halls) and (surely) receive special handing of their instrument trunks by baggage handlers. Even with a trunk (WITHOUT the special handling that touring symphony orchestras surely receive by baggage handlers), I would not put my instruments underneath airliners...certainly not in 2018...

...I just bought a new high-end dishwasher (refused on delivery), and (with all of the packing materials around it - and being much less fragile than any tuba) "professional" shippers couldn't manage to get it to my home without smashing in the top right front corner and cracking the top-of-door-mounted electronics control panel, so...
bloke

Postby tubajoe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:32 am

Sorry on my lateness... I have to admit it's been a while since I've been on here!

I use an Accord for my 4/4CC... I've actually had 2 of their cases. The first one was sort of a prototype and was more or less their stock older style (plastic wheel housings, their usual hinges, leather handles etc) I used it for a year or so and then I worked with them on an updated version (I went to Croatia), which is vastly improved. It ROCKS. It has metal wheel housings, stronger hinges, tougher bead on the lip, thicker walled back and lid, and better handles. With my 186 in it it's still under 40 lbs. I don't use a gig bag anymore. This is my full-time case. It's been life changing. I've taken it on tons of flights, both international and domestic, and worse, it's been loaded into taxicabs, buses, boats, trains etc about a million times. I even got hit by a fast moving bicyclist while wearing it on my back, and both I and the tuba shot straight up...like taking a shirt off... and landed on the pavement 10 or more feet from me where I landed... no damage to the horn. In 2017 in Greece, I watched a grumpy baggage handler chuck it down a long chute... in 2016 it fell off a conveyor in a construction zone in Gatwick and they lost it.. it's been delayed, bashed, bonked, pooped on, spilled on, drenched in the rain... you name it. I'm telling you... I have beat the living SH*T out of this case. And gosh, has it been 6 or 7 years later by now, which means it's hauled my horn to gigs numbering into the thousands, and it's still going strong. ...not to mention, I also live in a 4th floor walkup.

The hardest thing with them is that it's a family company and communication can be difficult and I've heard sometimes you can be at the mercy of their string case importers.

Also, there is a learning curve with carbon fiber... knowing how to treat it. It's different than plastic, it does have it's unique characteristics... it's kryptonite is bright/direct sunlight. carbon fiber does have some natural pliability to it which differs from plastic, and the pliability does increase with age / there is a breaking-in period to the case. And no case is indestructible. (and let me be honest, my fickleness with airline choice and strategic TSA handling has been a part of it too)

One thing it does NOT do is fit into the trunk of a Toyota Camry, which to my chagrin has turned into the most common NYC Taxi. It's just a couple of inches too wide.
Old Mirpahone 186 4U CC
Older Keefer BBb 'Wagnerphone' sousaphone
DJI Mavic 2 Pro (FAA 14 CFR part 107)
Sennheiser, Parker Mouthpieces, Accord Case artist

"When you control sound, you control meat." -Arnold Jacobs
tubajoe
pro musician
pro musician

Return to Professional Topics