Accord Cases

Topics regarding life as a professional
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Accord Cases

Post by MikeMilnarik »

Hello Everyone!

Anyone have experience with Accord Cases? Is there someplace that sells them in the U.S.?

Thanks,

Mike Milnarik
http://www.milnarik.com

INNOVATA
COSMOPOLITAN TUBA QUARTET
MMI - TUBA EUPHONIUM ACADEMY
TUBASTUDIO.com

Tufts University & Milnarik Music Initiative
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Accord Cases

Post by Scott Sutherland »

I flew with one dozens of times with Presidio Brass. Held up really well, though Charlotte airport baggage handlers managed to bust off one of the wheels. Never experienced any damage to the horn.
Scott Sutherland
Artist Teacher of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Redlands
Eastman Music Company Artist and Clinician
https://www.youtube.com/c/scottsutherlandmusic" target="_blank
https://www.scottsutherlandmusic.com" target="_blank
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeMilnarik »

Thanks, Guys! I appreciate your feedback!

A question though, based on Joe's feedback ... Are they not considered a flight case and Scott - did you just get lucky there was no damage to the horn, or are they protective enough to fly with?

Mike Milnarik
http://www.milnarik.com

INNOVATA
COSMOPOLITAN TUBA QUARTET
MMI - TUBA EUPHONIUM ACADEMY
TUBASTUDIO.com

Tufts University & Milnarik Music Initiative
itai
bugler
bugler

Post by itai »

Got mine 2 years ago through Quality Strings. The guy’s name was Lance and the whole procedure was smooth, took about 3-4 months.
I’ve flown with it over 10 times and haven’t had any bad luck, except for one time when TSA apes didn’t close the case correctly. Never got oversize charge either, so it’s probably paid off by now if I were using aluminum flight case. Those screw bell trollies are likely more ideal if you travel frequently, but I recommend it. Pretty sure there’s a nice warrenty on the shell too.
Itai Agmon
Israel Philharmonic Orchestra
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott Sutherland »

MikeMilnarik wrote:Thanks, Guys! I appreciate your feedback!

A question though, based on Joe's feedback ... Are they not considered a flight case and Scott - did you just get lucky there was no damage to the horn, or are they protective enough to fly with?

Mike Milnarik
I had much worse luck with other cases, particularly the plastic Yamaha cases. Take that for what it's worth.
Scott Sutherland
Artist Teacher of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Redlands
Eastman Music Company Artist and Clinician
https://www.youtube.com/c/scottsutherlandmusic" target="_blank
https://www.scottsutherlandmusic.com" target="_blank
tubajoe
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubajoe »

Sorry on my lateness... I have to admit it's been a while since I've been on here!

I use an Accord for my 4/4CC... I've actually had 2 of their cases. The first one was sort of a prototype and was more or less their stock older style (plastic wheel housings, their usual hinges, leather handles etc) I used it for a year or so and then I worked with them on an updated version (I went to Croatia), which is vastly improved. It ROCKS. It has metal wheel housings, stronger hinges, tougher bead on the lip, thicker walled back and lid, and better handles. With my 186 in it it's still under 40 lbs. I don't use a gig bag anymore. This is my full-time case. It's been life changing. I've taken it on tons of flights, both international and domestic, and worse, it's been loaded into taxicabs, buses, boats, trains etc about a million times. I even got hit by a fast moving bicyclist while wearing it on my back, and both I and the tuba shot straight up...like taking a shirt off... and landed on the pavement 10 or more feet from me where I landed... no damage to the horn. In 2017 in Greece, I watched a grumpy baggage handler chuck it down a long chute... in 2016 it fell off a conveyor in a construction zone in Gatwick and they lost it.. it's been delayed, bashed, bonked, pooped on, spilled on, drenched in the rain... you name it. I'm telling you... I have beat the living SH*T out of this case. And gosh, has it been 6 or 7 years later by now, which means it's hauled my horn to gigs numbering into the thousands, and it's still going strong. ...not to mention, I also live in a 4th floor walkup.

The hardest thing with them is that it's a family company and communication can be difficult and I've heard sometimes you can be at the mercy of their string case importers.

Also, there is a learning curve with carbon fiber... knowing how to treat it. It's different than plastic, it does have it's unique characteristics... it's kryptonite is bright/direct sunlight. carbon fiber does have some natural pliability to it which differs from plastic, and the pliability does increase with age / there is a breaking-in period to the case. And no case is indestructible. (and let me be honest, my fickleness with airline choice and strategic TSA handling has been a part of it too)

One thing it does NOT do is fit into the trunk of a Toyota Camry, which to my chagrin has turned into the most common NYC Taxi. It's just a couple of inches too wide.
"When you control sound, you control meat." -Arnold Jacobs
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

It's easier to ask here than on the web site.....it appears there is only one shell size, and then they supply pads to fill in the blanks. So theoretically it will fit everything from a 6/4 BBb BAT to a MW 182 3/4 F. Sort of a one size fits all with our without pads. True?
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

Doesn't seem so: "Measurement form is mandatory due to the extraordinary sized instrument". I read their order form as such that the exterior is "built to size" and the interior cushioning is modular
Rob. Just Rob.
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

If I understand correctly, the make two outer shells. One is Mirafone 186/PT-10ish in size and the other is 6/4-York (and copies) sized. I have had a hard time even getting a response from them in terms of actually buying a case, but have run into others at auditions that have them, so maybe if you just pester them you can get noticed!
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon