BBb tuba

Topics regarding life as a professional
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: BBb tuba

Post by iiipopes »

Some years ago I played the B&S GR51 tuba and thought that if I were 20 years younger and played more tuba that would be the one to have: great response, consistent tone and scale.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaport »

If the money is available, I'd recommend the Siegfried at the top of the list. A close second would be the Prokofiev. I own a Prokofiev, have used it for the last few months and have had much success. You'll definitely feel like you're able to provide more bottom to a large ensemble that usual. I find I'm playing my CC less and less in large ensembles, just have to get past some of the usual Bb playing challenges.

The Siegfried, Prokofiev and 6/4 Hagen are really the only Bbs I'd choose in front of CC. Eastman seems to be on the right track with their Bbs (they have the right sound), but their rotary valves were much too slow for me. The good news is there are definitely some great options available!
Kyle Hurst

”Wagner use to read the libretti of his operas to his friends; I’m glad I was not there.”
Ralph Vaughan Williams
Frank Ortega
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Frank Ortega »

Tony,

I am playing BBb almost exclusively these days. I still dream about the 6/4 Big Mouth Brass BBb, 4 valve.
I don't think the 5 valve version plays as beautifully as the 4 valve. This was one of the best instruments I've ever played. Resonant, responsive, and well in tune.

This instrument also has peaked my interest, and I still may buy one some day!

https://www.dillonmusic.com/dillon-dbb- ... -case.html" target="_blank

Best Rotary BBb on the market in it's price range, and compares well with instruments at twice the value. Very similar in response and resonance to the BMB described above.

If I didn't own my 1932 4 valve front action Martin Mammoth with a fixed upright bell, I would definitely own one of these instruments!

Best Regards,
Frank
Frank Ortega
Band Director
Saddle Brook MS/HS
The Bloomfield Civic Band
Music Director/Conductor
Bon Temps Brass
joshwirt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by joshwirt »

Loving my production Fafner....
Elmhurst University - Applied Professor of Tuba/Euphonium
Elmhurst Symphony - Principal Tuba
Wintergreen Music Festival - Principal Tuba
New Chicago Brass
Ottava Quartet
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Grant »

A friend of mine has a B & S GR55. He has had it a number of years now. It plays beautifully. Worth a look.

https://www.b-and-s.com/en/instruments/b-tubas/gr55/" target="_blank
Michael Grant
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
King 2341
RichWilley
lurker
lurker

Post by RichWilley »

Mark Finley wrote:If was going to buy any tuba right now, it would be a miraphone hagen. They are Amazing.
I picked up one of these at Dillon Music back in December and am loving everything about it.

I tried a Tuba Exchange model at FMEA in Tampa last month (Chinese made) and it was pretty darned good, but not this good.
Antontuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Antontuba »

What BBb tuba at Dillon Music?