BBb tuba Bookmark and Share

Topics regarding life as a professional

BBb tuba

Postby tclements » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:44 pm

I am in serious consideration to add a BBb tuba to my tool kit. What is your experience with the newer offerings in terms of BBb tubas. Right now, the Prokofiev from Wessex seems to have bubbled to the top.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: BBb tuba

Postby Mark Finley » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:10 pm

If was going to buy any tuba right now, it would be a miraphone hagen. They are Amazing.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Three Valves » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:20 pm

The Hagen seems to go for 10-14k depending on options.

The super-Wessex is almost 10k.

I played the cheapie Hagen at the Army conference and if money were no object...
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:33 pm

No one seems to agree with my large BBb tuba preferences, so...
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby tmz1m » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Hagen 496.
Miraphone 191 5v BBb
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
tmz1m
bugler
bugler

Postby Dan Tuba » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:58 am

I play a MW 195P at work everyday. It's a great tuba. Intonation is very good. Very easy to play(response) from top to bottom. Projection is very good. Even though it's a large tuba, it can work well with both large and smaller ensembles. Only issue I have is that the large valves can hurt your hand after long rehearsals.

I have played a few of the newer large Chinese BBb tubas and heard them in performance by top professionals. I own one of them. Although quite good, they just don't compare to the MW 195P. Projection, clarity, color of sound just aren't as good in my opinion which probably isn't worth much. Good luck on your search. There are some great BBb tubas on the market. Miraphone Siegfried is amazing! Hagen 497 also very good, not as broad of sound.
MW 195P
24AW
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:44 pm

bloke wrote:No one seems to agree with my large BBb tuba preferences, so...

Siegfried?
Mark Wiseman
Mark
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Three Valves » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:36 pm

tmz1m wrote:Hagen 496.

Dillon just posted one on sale for about $8500
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby toobagrowl » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Three Valves wrote:The super-Wessex is almost 10k.

:shock: Does that tuba already include the German-made Voigt rotor set for that price?

10k is the price of a brand-new, German-made M-W 25 BBb, which is a great tuba :tuba:

Mark wrote:
bloke wrote:No one seems to agree with my large BBb tuba preferences, so...

Siegfried?

I think bloke's fav large BBb tubas are the Miraphone Seigfried and M-W 195P :idea:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Doc » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:48 am

IMHO, the Wessex Prokofiev (6/4 piston) and the Wessex Kaiser play circles around a MW 25. Very nice tubas. Both had great intonation and were easy to play. The Prokofiev resonated like no other. I had to chuckle when I played it and the horn made contact with me. Big, clear, beautiful sound. The Kaiser made the kaiser sound I have in my had. Very true to the Bohland & Fuchs tradition, but the intonation was exceptional, maybe the best intonation of their entire line on display. It played delicately, but it had that daisy cutter/Thor's hammer ability also. I would own the Kaiser in a NY minute. I found no build-quality issues or anything that looked or functioned poorly. Both are definitely worth a look.

I am definitely a fan of the Hagen 496. Easiest, most facile, in tune large BBb I have played. I definitely want one. Haven't seen a 497 to try yet.

I liked the Miraphone Siegfried. Without doubt, it's a fantastic instrument that is effortless to play, but the Hagen was more akin to the sound I have in my head. Depends on the sound you seek.

Fafner (piston or rotary) are tried and true. Worthy of trials.

I was completely surprised by the Eastman EBB562 (looks like GR 51). Easy response, very facile, great sound, nice valves, great intonation, superb low range, and nice price. If I were going to buy another BBb that was a really good instrument, and I did not need a handmade instrument ( or spend handmade level money), this is the tuba I'd likely have to put at the top of the list.

A new-style King 2341 is a really easy to play (from top to bottom) 4/4 piston BBb with fantastic intonation. I've heard some recordings of Ed Firth - It can definitely hold its own in an orchestra. I wish I had one to do dixieland/trad jazz and some other things.

If you could find an Alex 164 BBb that was in good condition and had good intonation, you might discover tuba nirvana.
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Doc » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Frank Byrne has a Miraphone 1291 BBb here for sale. I owned one for a number of years, and I was a fool to sell it. An outstanding piston the flat Tuba. Very agile. Great intonation. Excellent piston valves. Incredible low range.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby toobagrowl » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 pm

^ I will just say I disagree on much of what you wrote here. IMHO, ya know :tuba:

And I will also say that I've noticed some ppl are truly fascinated by brand-new flavor-of-the-month tubas, no matter what. Kinda reminds me of when we are little kids, fascinated by bright primary colors :lol:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Doc » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:46 pm

toobagrowl wrote:^ I will just say I disagree on much of what you wrote here. IMHO, ya know :tuba:

And I will also say that I've noticed some ppl are truly fascinated by brand-new flavor-of-the-month tubas, no matter what. Kinda reminds me of when we are little kids, fascinated by bright primary colors :lol:

I like red, btw. Oh, look... a squirrel! :roll:
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Liberty Mo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Doc wrote:Frank Byrne has a Miraphone 1291 BBb here for sale. I owned one for a number of years, and I was a fool to sell it. An outstanding piston the flat Tuba. Very agile. Great intonation. Excellent piston valves. Incredible low range.

I just picked this one up this morning from Frank who was a real gentleman. It is fantastically easy to play, with this particular example being a really good one.
Miraphone 1291-5v BBb
Conn Monster BBb
"Half of the World is Below Average"
Liberty Mo
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Doc » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:58 pm

Liberty Mo wrote:
Doc wrote:Frank Byrne has a Miraphone 1291 BBb here for sale. I owned one for a number of years, and I was a fool to sell it. An outstanding piston the flat Tuba. Very agile. Great intonation. Excellent piston valves. Incredible low range.

I just picked this one up this morning from Frank who was a real gentleman. It is fantastically easy to play, with this particular example being a really good one.

8) 8) 8)

:mrgreen: :tuba:
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Doc » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Liberty Mo wrote:

I was listening to some recordings of some live stuff I did a few years ago. Darn, that 1291 sounded good!
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Three Valves » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Doc wrote:I was completely surprised by the Eastman EBB562 (looks like GR 51). Easy response, very facile, great sound, nice valves, great intonation, superb low range, and nice price. If I were going to buy another BBb that was a really good instrument, and I did not need a handmade instrument ( or spend handmade level money), this is the tuba I'd likely have to put at the top of the list.

Did you get a chance to play the EBB632?? (The larger bore model)

I liked it even better and despite the bigger bore, it is more tightly wrapped and easier to hold.
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Doc » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:14 pm

Three Valves wrote:
Doc wrote:I was completely surprised by the Eastman EBB562 (looks like GR 51). Easy response, very facile, great sound, nice valves, great intonation, superb low range, and nice price. If I were going to buy another BBb that was a really good instrument, and I did not need a handmade instrument ( or spend handmade level money), this is the tuba I'd likely have to put at the top of the list.

Did you get a chance to play the EBB632?? (The larger bore model)

I liked it even better and despite the bigger bore, it is more tightly wrapped and easier to hold.

I did not. Others were busy with it. If it plays anything like a 191, I’m sure I’d be a fan.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Sam Gnagey » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:09 am

I'm well pleased with my Wessex Grand. It's a prototype version, one of 4, with the 5th valve. I have yet to play a Prokofiev, but, if they're as good or better than my horn, they've got to be a really great BBb.
Sam Gnagey
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby iiipopes » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 am

Some years ago I played the B&S GR51 tuba and thought that if I were 20 years younger and played more tuba that would be the one to have: great response, consistent tone and scale.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 & B&H 3-valve comp w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Next

Return to Professional Topics