A few of my favourite Solos

Topics regarding life as a professional
NickScott
lurker
lurker

A few of my favourite Solos

Post by NickScott »

Hello fellow Tubists!

I'm looking to expand my repertoire and I'd like to share some of my favourite pieces to give you an idea of what floats my boat.

Duda Tuba Concerto:
This is probably the hardest work I've ever learned but I love how fun and full of character it is. Unfortunately I find it a bit disappointing to play with the piano because the orchestral parts are so full of colour and the piano struggles to capture it. The piano part requires a great pianist

Wilby, Cyrano:
Easily my favourite work for brass band and tuba. I'm not sure what to say about it but listen to Joseph cook play it with Black Dyke. I've not played it with a brass band yet, mostly because it's a pretty monumental work to ask a Brass band to learn. It's fun with a good pianist

Crauzas, Eastern Folk Dances:
I've played both the piano and the accordion arrangements of this work and it's a real exciting entertainment piece.

Szentpali, Pearls:
I have a particular love for the movement "Very Good Morning". It's a guaranteed crowd pleaser if you can pull it off. Enlisting a drummer friend to play along really makes the piece.

Baadsvik, Order Seg:
Just a beautiful melody written for the tuba.

So in a nutshell I love modern works that are accessible for an audience to enjoy. Nothing that sounds particularly out there or atonal. Works that take the tuba seriously as an instrument but also have a lot of fun.

It sure would be nice to find some works that
I enjoyed but didn't require a virtuoso pianist.

Thanks,
Nic