WTB B flat Mellophone

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

WTB B flat Mellophone

Post by DonShirer »

Our band's lead trumpeter (retired USCG band) is seeking a B flat Mellophone. He wants to try that for a particular solo instead of his cornet or flügelhorn. I said I would inquire for him on this forum and pass on any replies. He is located in southeastern CT.
     I know the majority of mellophones are pitched in E flat or F. He might be interested in one of those but his first preference is the B flat variety. Feel free to respond via private message.
Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT
pioanna
lurker
lurker

Re: WTB B flat Mellophone

Post by pioanna »

I see Baltimore Brass has a Bb mellophone on its horn listings.(Also newly added instruments list.) Decent price too. A Holton. Definitely worth a phone call. Good luck.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Marching baritones and euphoniums are in Bb.

Here's a history of the mellophone which goes into great detail of the history of the mellophone. The mellophone comes in the keys of Eb and F.

http://www.alsmiddlebrasspages.com/mellophone/" target="_blank

Here's a thread from TN about the trombonium- a 'marching trombone" which fits in-between the marching baritone/euphonium and the mellophone. It is pitched in the key of Bb

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67491" target="_blank

Perhaps your friend is looking for a trombonium.
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

Thanks for the replies so far...keep 'em coming.
       @Pioanna: Good tip on the Holton. Thx.
       @TheBigBen: I'm pretty sure he doesn't want a trombonium. My brother-in-law has one. I've played it and that's not the sound he's after.
Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

See if what he wants is a high Bb French Horn.
They’re around, the Bb side of a double Bb/F French Horn.
You’d have to play it with the left hand, but that’s not as hard as it sounds...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

Thanks for the comments. I have passed them on to the trumpeter for his decision.
Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

There are marching Bb horns that are a real Bb french horn in mellophone configuration.
these can be played about as well as a real Bb french horn. they get a bad rep because they don't work so well when you actually march.
F mellophones are easier to play, but tricky intonation on most especially lower range. and while the tone can be pretty strong it doesn't really resemble the french horn.
cheburashka
bugler
bugler

Post by cheburashka »

Which setup? Old-style "hand in the bell" or bell-front marching style?
DonShirer
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DonShirer »

My friend received the Bb Mellophone from Baltimore Brass last Friday and had the time to get to know it over the weekend. "Unfortunately," he said, "the horn was under par. The low register was out of tune with itself and the middle register was compromised. It wouldn’t take a hard blow and the resistance would make it back up."
Too bad. It sure looks unique!
Don Shirer
Westbrook, CT