WTB Denis Wick DW5286-5

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Recoup359
lurker
lurker

WTB Denis Wick DW5286-5

Post by Recoup359 »

Hello,

I am looking for a Denis Wick DW5286-5 not the 5L just the regular 5 for the EEb that I am playing on right now. I have been using a BBb mouthpiece and I'm tired of liping everything up.

Thank you,
Mitch F.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: WTB Denis Wick DW5286-5

Post by iiipopes »

The 5 is the smallest tuba mouthpiece Wick makes. It is made generally for beginner players in school and for adults with, well, a smaller embouchure, or possibly a bass trombone doubler. Your post is somewhat confusing in that you don't state your current mouthpiece make or model, and that you don't say if it is a British shank (small, .490 at the tip) or if it is an American or European shank, (.520-.530 at the tip). Of course, if the issue is that the shank is too large for the receiver, then yes, the amount it sticks out of the receiver could be causing the horn to play flat. Also, what EEb are you playing? That could also determine how which mouthpiece interacts pitch-wise with the horn. All of these details are necessary for you to determine actually what mouthpiece you should be playing.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Recoup359
lurker
lurker

Post by Recoup359 »

I like how instead of informing me if you have one of these mouthpieces for sale, you would rather assume that I have no clue what I am looking for in regards to mouthpieces.

Since you need to know, I am playing on an EEb 3 valve (front-facing) Elkhart Buescher (I don't have the model number on me, or the precise year, it was from the 1940's/1950's) with a Heliberg 7b (and imagine that *to the astonishment of no one* the shank is too long, but it's what I have right now), all my valve slides are pushed all the way in and I'm still playing pretty flat on almost all the notes, so hence I'm lipping up. I was doing some research on other people playing with one of these mouthpieces on an older model similar to what I am playing on now, and the majority of the posts came up saying this mouthpiece works pretty well with something like the tuba I am playing.

Thank you for assuming I have no clue what I'm trying to find, instead of ya know, just telling me if you have one of these mouthpieces that are literally out of stock almost everywhere I've looked.

Thanks!
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

I will trust you when you say you want a Wick 5! I have one. Please PM or email if you are still looking.
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Recoup359 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:48 pm I like how instead of informing me if you have one of these mouthpieces for sale, you would rather assume that I have no clue what I am looking for in regards to mouthpieces.

Since you need to know, I am playing on an EEb 3 valve (front-facing) Elkhart Buescher (I don't have the model number on me, or the precise year, it was from the 1940's/1950's) with a Heliberg 7b (and imagine that *to the astonishment of no one* the shank is too long, but it's what I have right now), all my valve slides are pushed all the way in and I'm still playing pretty flat on almost all the notes, so hence I'm lipping up. I was doing some research on other people playing with one of these mouthpieces on an older model similar to what I am playing on now, and the majority of the posts came up saying this mouthpiece works pretty well with something like the tuba I am playing.

Thank you for assuming I have no clue what I'm trying to find, instead of ya know, just telling me if you have one of these mouthpieces that are literally out of stock almost everywhere I've looked.

Thanks!
No insult or assumptions meant. Just questions to make sure we are helping you as you desire. Thanks for letting us know what you are playing so we can help you find one, and if all else fails and you can't find one used, Denis Wick does still make a #5 with the smaller shank. When I had a Besson BBb New Standard 3-valve comp with the smaller original receiver, I also had to explain to others that I needed a #1 with the British shank, not a #1L with the American shank, for the same reasons. I understand these smaller Eb tubas are fun instuments to play. Thanks.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.