Where to buy serpent?

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
michaelrmurrin
bugler
bugler

Where to buy serpent?

Post by michaelrmurrin »

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I posted here --- I have become slightly interested in buying a serpent, and I could have sworn that I could buy a serpent from one of the major discount companies (ie like Wessex, Mack, Packer, Eastman) but I guess I was just mistaken, I couldn't find a serpent in these companies

Does anyone have any input as to where I could find a serpent to purchase? Are there any companies that make new serpents (such as how you can get new ophicleides from wessex)?

Thanks

Michael
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Re: Where to buy serpent?

Post by GeoffC_UK »

Send an e-mail to Mark @ Mr. Tuba. He may know, if any one does in Europe. https://www.mrtuba.com/
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

The Brass Ark, which is near the Horn Guys in the L.A. area, is selling the beautiful Pierre Ribo models.

http://www.brassark.com/new.html
tubariffic
lurker
lurker

Post by tubariffic »

Don't know if you have explored using a 3d printer to make one. Files are available to do this. It involves significant printer time but can be very cost effective. $189 for a good inexpensive printer, a couple spools of PLA plastic and you can make a pretty decent serpent for less than $300. Serpents made in the traditional manner are really expensive.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

TheodoreSmith
bugler
bugler

Post by TheodoreSmith »

You can 3D print one pretty cheeply.
B&S PT-7PS
Yamaha Yeb-321
tubariffic
lurker
lurker

Post by tubariffic »

Yep, you can do it real cheap. When I say less than $300, that includes the cost of a printer. A couple spools of PLA plastic is around $40, it will require some sandpaper and glue, (I recommend super glue ultragel), and maybe paint or something else to put on a finish if desired. Not counting the printer you might come in less than $100 actual materials for making the serpent-- plus buying a printer would mean you'd have one to use for all kinds of projects. Playing around with a 3D printer is fun and useful.
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

So why doesn't someone buy the printer, start cranking these out and selling them for $175-200? I just might have to buy one of those, not having the room, the tech know-how nor the time to do it myself.
Yane
bugler
bugler

Post by Yane »

Watch the video linked on serpentwebsite. There is plenty of fiddly hand work after the 3d printer does its wizardry; I doubt anyone would sell so cheap given the time and labor involved.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

OK. How about $100 for materials, $100 for labor and $100 profit = $300 sale price, then? Whatever makes sense. I just think that there'd be a market for decent serpents for <$500.
Yane
bugler
bugler

Post by Yane »

There’s already somebody doing this for smaller, presumably easier to make cornetti, here’s what he charges: https://cornetti.3dmusicinstruments.com ... elist.html
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
tubariffic
lurker
lurker

Post by tubariffic »

I can tell you I wouldn't be interested in doing this for someone else for the aforementioned reason, it is indeed too time consuming. It's about 230 hrs of print time plus assembly for a standard serpent.
Buying, setting up and learning to use a printer is really not that difficult if a person is diligent and follows process. I'm not tech-savvy, my computer is ancient, I don't even own a smart phone, and yet I figured it out. I use an Ender 3 printer, they include good functional software. I've done a bunch of printing for myself including 5 serpents in various sizes, a baroque oboe, a rackett, even some bits for my car roof rack.