Mirafone C6 mpce.

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
kathott
bugler
bugler

Mirafone C6 mpce.

Post by kathott »

Hello. I am looking for an original Mirafone C6 (aka TU31) tuba mouthpiece.
Thank you.
K.
Last edited by kathott on Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Re: Mirafone C6

Post by Easy Mac »

That was originally the "DL-C6", for Don Little, who used to be a bigtime Miraphone rep. (When this relationship ended the DL was removed from the C6 model.) Don was in many of their ads back in the day. They wanted a "signature" mouthpiece for him and asked him for feedback on one they could make for him. He gave them a Conn Helleberg (the 120, but way before they called it that) and said, "Copy this." I think the inner rim is a *tiny* bit sharper, and the face of the rim is a little flatter than the current Conn Hellebergs. I had one for years and really liked it.

If you have difficulty locating one of these try searching for a Conn Helleberg from the late 1960s. I think that will be essentially the same thing. (However, I like the look of the Miraphone mouthpiece exterior more, so a real C6 would be my preference in most cases. I wish I still had mine.) Also, the SSH (Paul Sidey's Stainless Steel Helleberg, now out of production, RIP, Paul) was a very close copy to an excellent Helleberg from the same time period, and it played very similarly to the C6. These are becoming rare now, but are worth a trial. If you come across one and have the money you ought to snap it up. They are easy to sell if you dislike them. Paul made several models, but the only differences between them were the shank (A or E) and the exterior, one looking more or less like the modern 120S and the other looking like Conn pieces did many decades ago, similar to the Miraphone mouthpieces, all of which are currently made by Josef Klier.

Good luck in your search. I know I was of no help in finding what you want, but I felt you might like to know of some *very* close alternatives and a little bit of history, to boot.
kathott
bugler
bugler

Re: Mirafone C6

Post by kathott »

Thanks for the reply and information. The C6 was renamed TU31. I feel that Mirafone mpce specs are generally not tinkered with (I believe someone else does their mpce tooling), so I may just settle for a contemporary version of the C6.
I do have a Conn Helleberg from the mid 70’s, which is great, but lacks the shell weight of the standard Mirafone design, which is what I’m after.
Thanks also for the info on the SSH.
K.
Schmenge Kaiser EEb, 3 valve (two rotors, one piston), with a Kosicup mouthpiece (9.2 mm)
kathott
bugler
bugler

Re: Mirafone C6 (TU31)

Post by kathott »

Looking for a old Mirafone C6 mouthpiece. I have a number of miscellaneous mouthpieces, to offer in trade.
K.
kathott
bugler
bugler

trade (?) for Mirafone C6 mouthpiece

Post by kathott »

Still looking for an original Model C6 (or labeled DL C6). I can trade any of the below:

- Mirafone C4 (larger old lettering, circa mid 1970's)
- Mirafone C4 (old lettering, early 1970's, throat drilled to 8.2 by Partch Brasswind/Toronto)
- Mirafone TU23 (same as C4), newer generation, great condition
- (rare) Mirafone ‘Rose Model’ This particular mouthpiece is an early ‘solo’ model (early 1970’s), made before the ‘Rose Orchestra’ Model was developed, hence the designation Rose Model only. Very good condition