Willson 3050 Thumb Ring

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Willson 3050 Thumb Ring

Post by Easy Mac »

He quoted me a LOT of money for a new one.

!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have one they removed that they would sell to me? I bought this 3050 from an old friend who bought it new in 1992. He removed the ring and then lost it. My hand needs the ring to be there. I also have a Miraphone 188 from the 1980s that has the thumb ring removed. (I did this, and I sold it to some guy about two hours away from me back in 2010.) I suffered an injury to my left shoulder in a way that means I will never be able to hold my horns like I used to. So I need the thumb rings to help me out.

I wasn't sure what to do. I tried to epoxy a big brass ring to a bolt of the correct thread pitch, but it snapped off the first time I used it. The other day I read an ad seeking one of these same rings and a story about a guy trying to order one from the Willson guy, but that it was really expensive. I looked into that, got a quote, and realized that I should be looking for a used one, too, because yeah, it is expensive. But my skills at making one are lacking pretty badly, so hunting down a used one that I know will fit the threads on the socket thing on my horn is what I am hoping to do.

No hurry. I need it cheap, not fast. I don't have anything to trade, so if you have one of these, let me know how much you want for it.

Also, I keep reading that you can use euphonium springs to lighten up these heavy pistons, but I got a set and they are terrible! Do I need to get some specific euphy springs? I tried to stretch them a little and that helped, but they are too light for these heavy valves. Any suggestions? I want my old Willson to play good. I have a really good community band near me that I wanna join, and I like the Willson better than the old 188. It is LOUD in the low register! :twisted:

EM