Looking for/Pricing used Bass bone FOUND

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Looking for/Pricing used Bass bone FOUND

Post by DouglasJB »

I am looking around trying to price a used bass trombone, something i can use when i help a local marching band, just so i don't have to drag a nice tuba around and possibly outside. I am leaning towards a Jupiter 1240 at the moment but am open to suggestions. It does not have to be pretty, and not working or stuck valves are fine with me, i can do a little work to get things working or have the local tech help me, just looking to buy for under $1K if possible.

Update: I would prefer to find independent valves, Let me know what you have.

UPDATE 7/23/16
Found
Last edited by DouglasJB on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Looking for/Pricing used Bass bone

Post by Ace »

Why look for used? Get a high-quality new bass trombone.

http://www.mackbrass.com/MACK-TB831L_Bass_Bone.php" target="_blank

Ace
chhite

Post by chhite »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70239" target="_blank" target="_blank

Not in your price range but let me know if you're interested.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I've tried the Mack Brass and wasn't really impressed, nor was I impressed with a King 7B. (Could just be our school one, its rough...)
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Bump for update. If a used Wessex comes up for sale I'll definitely give it a try, it should be nicer then our old 7B.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Here's one that is a near-perfect copy of the fabled Benge 290 bass trombone. I have owned both. Presently out of stock, but I suspect it is about the same as the Wessex.

http://www.usamusicsupply.com/brass-ins ... -1030.html" target="_blank

Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

58mark wrote:
Ace wrote:Here's one that is a near-perfect copy of the fabled Benge 290 bass trombone. I have owned both. Presently out of stock, but I suspect it is about the same as the Wessex.

http://www.usamusicsupply.com/brass-ins ... -1030.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Ace
Look to be the same design as the wessex King copy. Not sure which one it actually copies, but King and Benge were sister companies, so maybe a little of both
You are right, Mark. The King and Benge were almost the same, I think. The Benge 290 had a two part second slide----short configuration gave G tuning, and long configuration gave Gb tuning. Thus, the player had a choice of Eb first position double valves, or D first position double valves.

Ace
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

DouglasJB wrote:I've tried the Mack Brass and wasn't really impressed, nor was I impressed with a King 7B. (Could just be our school one, its rough...)

What was it you didn't like? We have been selling them for over 5 years to every level player, schools and colleges and never had one returned. Just curious.

Tom
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Tom, the linkages seemed very flimsy and the horn was very stuffy when using the Gb attachment, after playing on a few other horns it was just uncomfortably stuffy to play. Back to the linkages, they could be bent into place with ease but seemed to warp over time as they were used
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

DouglasJB wrote:Tom, the linkages seemed very flimsy and the horn was very stuffy when using the Gb attachment, after playing on a few other horns it was just uncomfortably stuffy to play. Back to the linkages, they could be bent into place with ease but seemed to warp over time as they were used
Thats interesting especially the part on the linkages. The linkages are solid nickel and when i adjust the Db trigger before shipping them out i have to put it in a vice to bend it. If you bend the Db trigger while in place you will snap the brace right off, i know as i have done that before.

As to the suffy low Db trigger, check the valve alignment. Most bass bones are more stuffy when engaging the F and Db/Gb triggers unless you go with the thayer valve which is like blowing into a toilet bowl. Good luck on your search.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Thanks
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Bump
Tim Jackson
bugler
bugler

Post by Tim Jackson »

I have the following Reynolds Bass Bone for sale. If you are interested I could send pics. Older horn has not been played much since the 80's. Just had it serviced. Would fit your needs perfectly.

TO-01 Bore: .565″
Bell: 10″ Contempora “Stereophonic” Bass Trombone | Body: red-brass bell; brass gooseneck, tuning slide and slide receiver; nickel silver bracing and trim; two rotor valves, dependent F/flat E attachments | Slide: chrome-plated nickel silver inner slides; brass outer slides | Finish: baked epoxy coating.

Tim Jackson
850-438-8232
tjacks46@bellsouth.net" target="_blank
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Bump, still looking for used independent bass.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

I've thought about that, but I've wanted to start playing bass trombone more, it's something I started doing I'm some of our lower ensembles, I enjoy it.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Looking for/Pricing used Bass bone FOUND

Post by DouglasJB »

Found
thelochias
lurker
lurker

Re: Looking for/Pricing used Bass bone FOUND

Post by thelochias »

If you are still interested in a Bass Trombone, I have a Bach 50AL with Hagmann Valves that I would be willing to trade for a small C Tuba.