if i only had a tuba

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
koterbski
bugler
bugler

if i only had a tuba

Post by koterbski »

i can assume all of us graduating from high school and entering the real world need tubas now, i know i do. i just need some help finding a cheep one that isn`t embarrassing to play in an ensemble, anyone else in the same predicament?
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Re: if i only had a tuba

Post by FarahShazam »

If you are going to college, you can apply for loans that will cover the cost of a tuba. You can also get one from the music department. Or find a teacher and ask him/her. Otherwise, keep an eye on ebay. And the DoD will sell musical pallets of various instruments for super cheap. You could buy an entire pallet of tubas for $1k and sell all but one and likely triple your income.

I have a friend who purchased his own tuba shortly before graduating with a degree in tuba performance with a grant due to financial need.
--farah chisham
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

The cheapest 4 valve BBb is Yamaha 321. Not without its assets - deep clear sound, great intonation, fast response. The real redeeming feature is that the valves are so well made they never loose compression...if they're not stuck, they work! The only drawbacks are that it has top action valves with a long throw and high reach...not great for Flight of the Bumblebee.

When skimming the bottom, getting a bell straightened out is no biggie unless it's wrinkled and getting dents pulled is no biggie unless they require taking the bows apart. But worn out valves are basically a fatal condition unless it's a really special instrument. Yamaha has the best resistance to this condition, which is the scourge of tuba buying. Honorable mention to Conn short-action and Reynolds.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

You said it, Pal!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
windmill
bugler
bugler

Post by windmill »

A shameless promotion. I am selling a Dillon CC tuba that would be perfect for getting started in College. See my ad in For Sale.
Mirafone 188 2003