BBb tuba or sousaphone

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
TheKid
lurker
lurker

BBb tuba or sousaphone

Post by TheKid »

My college requires me to practice over the summer, but does not provide any summer tubas, so I am in need of a tuba and (sadly) probably won't have the funds to put up for anything nice. :cry: I only ask that it works and sounds decent. looking in the $150-300 range. If closer to 300, will need to wait two weeks for another paycheck. :mrgreen: Thanks for any and all help.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: BBb tuba or sousaphone

Post by Three Valves »

Couldn't you rent one for the summer??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Oh??

Anti-tubites??

:evil:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
TheKid
lurker
lurker

Post by TheKid »

Yeah, it's a little jank. My HS band director said he'd let me borrow one over the summer, but I'd rather not be responsible for a $5000 tuba... I'm gonna need one for the rest of my college career anyway. :tuba:
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

TheKid wrote:Yeah, it's a little jank. My HS band director said he'd let me borrow one over the summer, but I'd rather not be responsible for a $5000 tuba... I'm gonna need one for the rest of my college career anyway. :tuba:
Have your parents add to their homeowners insurance to cover the school-owned tuba. I doubt the three months premiums would cost much. Besides... I'd be willing to bet the school already has their tubas insured against theft. All you would need to commit to is making repairs if you do something stupid.

Save your paychecks to buy a GOOD horn.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
TheKid
lurker
lurker

Post by TheKid »

Dan Schultz wrote:
TheKid wrote:Yeah, it's a little jank. My HS band director said he'd let me borrow one over the summer, but I'd rather not be responsible for a $5000 tuba... I'm gonna need one for the rest of my college career anyway. :tuba:
Have your parents add to their homeowners insurance to cover the school-owned tuba. I doubt the three months premiums would cost much. Besides... I'd be willing to bet the school already has their tubas insured against theft. All you would need to commit to is making repairs if you do something stupid.

Save your paychecks to buy a GOOD horn.
Well, borrowing seems to be the best option right now, but my parents aren't going to be doing that for me. Personal biz, but essentially, they're more broke than I am.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

IF you're both scraping the bottom of the barrel and entirely focused on marching music:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olds-GG-contra- ... Swr7ZW8J22" target="_blank

With 2 valves and in GG you're limited musically, but marching and playing is a totally different game than straightup playing. Most drum corps kids are not really going to play a great concerto for you, but they'll press you into the stands at 190 BPM.

If you can play long tones though the series while marching box drill/donkey kong/circle drill at a decent tempo, you'll be top of the section come fall. Sounds stupid but it'll take a whole summer to master in free time.

When you're done with it, it'll still hold some value because the piston, rotor, and bell are all very useful parts.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tubajug »

Where are you located? There are a few cheap horns I saw on craigslist around the country.
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.