Seeking very old helicon - Stowasser?

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
musicnorthcott
lurker
lurker

Seeking very old helicon - Stowasser?

Post by musicnorthcott »

Hello! I've been trying to track down a particular type of early BB helicon, possibly made by Ignaz Stowasser of Vienna. Does anyone know where I might start my search? I'd like to purchase one if at all possible.

Specifically, I'm looking for a similar horn to what Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, author of the Sherlock Holmes stories, would have played. Conan Doyle went to a boarding school in Austria as a teen and played the "bombardon" in the band. The links at the bottom are some photos, including a shot from 1876 of the ensemble Conan Doyle played in.

Apparently he really liked being a tuba player - I'm sure we can all relate. Here's a little poem he wrote home to his mom, titled "The Song of the Bombardier":

There is an instrument whose power
Does all others far surpass
Far o'er the rest one sees him tower
A mighty instrument of brass

The soundest sleeper, far or near,
I think would scarcely slumber on,
If close to his unconscious ear
You played upon the Bombardon

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anavb0llev7vu ... 6.jpg?dl=0" target="_blank" target="_blank
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iomdfnikqe4tw ... r.jpg?dl=0" target="_blank" target="_blank
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Seeking very old helicon - Stowasser?

Post by Heavy_Metal »

That looks like an "instrument of mass destruction" :twisted:

No bell flare at all. I doubt it would have diffused the sound to any great degree.

This type of tuba would have been around when John Philip Sousa directed the U.S. Marine Band. ISTR he went for the opposite effect- maximum diffusion- when he conceived the original Sousaphone whose bell pointed upward, which we now call the Raincatcher.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

I can't help you find a Stowasser. However thank you for posting such a fascinating story concerning the Helicon and the historic picture.
gionvil
bugler
bugler

Post by gionvil »

I think Mr. Uwe Schneider can help you, he is a good source for helicons in Europe.
http://schneideruwe.de/tubashop.html" target="_blank

Good luck with the search.
musicnorthcott
lurker
lurker

Post by musicnorthcott »

Thanks for your responses, guys! I've sent an email to Mr. Schneider in Germany. I'll update you if I make any progress :tuba:
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

musicnorthcott wrote:Thanks for your responses, guys! I've sent an email to Mr. Schneider in Germany. I'll update you if I make any progress :tuba:
Wow - if you find one you have got to post a clip of how it sounds!

Great info on Conan Doyle.