WTB: 5/4-6/4 CC Tuba

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
TubaZac2012
3 valves
3 valves

WTB: 5/4-6/4 CC Tuba

Post by TubaZac2012 »

So I recently had a lesson with one of the very best players in the world and he suggested getting some better equipment. Particularly a larger CC tuba. I can't help but agree, because a lot of the time I over play my little York CC that Tabor built me. I am NOT getting rid of it. It is the perfect quintet/pit tuba, but I am throwing this feeler post out here looking to see if I can find anyone getting rid of anything other than what's on the board.

Horns I'm interested in: PT6P, Thor, 2165, PT7P, Willson 3050, Neptune Piston, and the Gronitz PCK. Open to other suggestions as well, but those are my favorites. Really like to keep the budget under $10,000, and I want it to come with a gig bag.

Thanks,
Zac
Zac Riley
Shoals Community Band
Twickenham Winds
Huntsville Brass Band Contrabass Tuba
Madison Community Symphony Orchestra
York/King/Reynolds Custom Tabor Build Franken York CC
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Re: WTB: 5/4-6/4 CC Tuba

Post by LCTuba89 »

Have you tried Big Mouth Brass's 6/4 CC? It's got it's intonation quirks, but so does just about every 6/4 CC. It's certainly more manageable than a 2165, which was already based off a hit or miss instrument, the Holton 345. They run anywhere from $6700 - $7500 depending on finish and valve config. Just my two cents.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Conn International Rotary 4/4 BBb Tuba
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

LCTuba89 wrote:Have you tried Big Mouth Brass's 6/4 CC? It's got it's intonation quirks, but so does just about every 6/4 CC. It's certainly more manageable than a 2165, which was already based off a hit or miss instrument, the Holton 345. They run anywhere from $6700 - $7500 depending on finish and valve config. Just my two cents.
I will second this suggestion. These horns have their quirks, as they all do, but it has a lot of people playing it. Buckeye Brass actually has the one that Carson McTeer was using with Cincinnati for sale for half your budget and I'm sure the horn has to be more than decent if it worked in that size orchestra.

Plus, the horns you are interested in are drastically different from each other and this would cost you less and save you money as you decide which is really the one for you (as some of those don't sell quickly or for anywhere near their purchased value).
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71322

This guy might still be selling this horn. Give him a message.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
LCTuba89
bugler
bugler

Post by LCTuba89 »

thevillagetuba wrote:
LCTuba89 wrote:Have you tried Big Mouth Brass's 6/4 CC? It's got it's intonation quirks, but so does just about every 6/4 CC. It's certainly more manageable than a 2165, which was already based off a hit or miss instrument, the Holton 345. They run anywhere from $6700 - $7500 depending on finish and valve config. Just my two cents.
I will second this suggestion. These horns have their quirks, as they all do, but it has a lot of people playing it. Buckeye Brass actually has the one that Carson McTeer was using with Cincinnati for sale for half your budget and I'm sure the horn has to be more than decent if it worked in that size orchestra.

Plus, the horns you are interested in are drastically different from each other and this would cost you less and save you money as you decide which is really the one for you (as some of those don't sell quickly or for anywhere near their purchased value).
You can tell he used that horn quite a bit by the patina on the upper bow and 1st valve slide. If he used it that much I'd definitely would give it a try.
Melton 2155R 5/4 CC Tuba
Zack Grass
lurker
lurker

Post by Zack Grass »

I have a Meinl Weston 5450 (Thor) that I will be looking to sell shortly if you are interested. Comes with flight case (has some damages thanks to the NSA) and new Horn Guys gig bag (bought December of this year). Send me a message if you are interested and we can talk!

Zack Grass
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

Zac,

This Neptune just went back up for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73983" target="_blank
Robert S. Pratt
Getzen G60 prototype
gudge07
bugler
bugler

Post by gudge07 »

Hello,

I have a VMI Neptune(Piston) that I'm looking to sell. PM/e-mail me if you're interested. Additionally, I'm located in TN so not far from you.
Rudy Meinl 4/4
Alexander 173
Willson 3400S FA-5
BBruce107
3 valves
3 valves

Post by BBruce107 »

I still have my 6/4 Big Mouth Brass CC Zak. Pm me if you are interested in it.
Brandon Bruce
Principal Tuba Gaylord Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Alpena Symphony Orchestra
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

Zach,

This was my old horn and is reasonably close to you (drive-able distance, at least) and will fit what you want to a T. If you're still looking, check it out:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75030" target="_blank
Robert S. Pratt
Getzen G60 prototype