WTB: BBb tuba for College

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)
tyrell1111
bugler
bugler

WTB: BBb tuba for College

Post by tyrell1111 »

I am a college Junior who would like to buy a Bb or CC tuba for my studies. The catch is that I am in Iowa. I am a motivated buyer and I am willing to drive to pick up an instrument. I'm looking for a step-up or professional model tuba. Let me know!
Last edited by tyrell1111 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.M.E. - Wartburg College (2018)
4v BBb Martin Mammoth
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Re: WTB: BBb or CC tuba for College

Post by opus37 »

Unless you are set on a new horn, call Lee Stofer. He'll help you find a really good restored horn.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
tubaben
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaben »

Feel free to give me a call at Grady Instrument Service in Waterloo. We have a couple that you might be interested in.

http://www.merlingrady.com

Ben
nbrenhol
bugler
bugler

Post by nbrenhol »

tyrell1111
bugler
bugler

Post by tyrell1111 »

tubaben wrote:Feel free to give me a call at Grady Instrument Service in Waterloo. We have a couple that you might be interested in.

http://www.merlingrady.com

Ben
I sent you an Email! I'm a student at Wartburg and visited once, so I know where you are at, too. Or maybe I sent Merlin one... At any rate, an email was sent
4v BBb Martin Mammoth
tyrell1111
bugler
bugler

Post by tyrell1111 »

Bump. Out of tubas to try in the area... Any other ideas?
4v BBb Martin Mammoth
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

What the elephant said. What is your budget?
tyrell1111
bugler
bugler

Post by tyrell1111 »

the elephant wrote:Some effort on your part would net you more help from us.

• What is your budget?
• How far are you willing to drive? (200, 500, 1000 miles one way?)
• What type of tuba are you looking for?
• What size?
• For what uses, generally?
• What *exactly* do you mean by the term "motivated"? In this context it normally means you are prepared to spend a good deal of money. What do you mean when *you* say it?

There are MANY, MANY types of tubas out there, even when limited to BBb or CC horns. I have been reading this thread since about an hour after you started it, waiting for you to post some - any - information to help us help you.

My budget is 8,000 maybe a bit more. I can drive on weekends but preferably not farther than 250-300 miles maybe more (my college is near Waterloo, IA) I'm looking for a 4/4 or 5/4 BBb tuba. I prefer pistons but I'm not oppose to rotary. 4 or 5 valves. Probably an all-around tuba (I'm in multiple small and large ensembles). I'm a fairly busy guy, but I am willing to answer any questions or take suggestions. I've been to Merlin's and Lee Stofer's shops. Nothing there that met my liking. I've reached out to the local music stores and I'm waiting to see what they have in stock or what they can order.
4v BBb Martin Mammoth
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Maybe a King 2341 or the Eastman clone of it (model 534)?
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Re: WTB: BBb tuba for College

Post by Tom »

You could go to the Midwest Clinic in Chicago in December.

They have a college student rate ($50, I think) and you'll see quite a few tubas there.

You won't find much in NE Iowa outside of what Merlin Grady or Lee Stofer has on hand. Remember that all of the major shops ship stuff, but it is best to be pretty darn sure of what you want before you go through that.

I'd also ask around about what Bloke or Tuba Tinker might have on hand in addition to the big shops.

If you have $8k + to spend you could buy a NEW King 2341 (piston) or Miraphone 186 (rotary) and could almost even buy a new Miraphone Hagen 496. Alternatively, the used BBb market is almost wide open to you at that price range. Remember, however, that you do not need to spend that much to get a fine BBb tuba.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
tyrell1111
bugler
bugler

Post by tyrell1111 »

Tom wrote:You could go to the Midwest Clinic in Chicago in December.

They have a college student rate ($50, I think) and you'll see quite a few tubas there.
I'm actually planning on attending that.
4v BBb Martin Mammoth
Toobist
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Toobist »

You need to look at that Marzan at Grady instruments (mentioned above). http://www.merlingrady.com/forsale.html

The thing looks beautiful - and heck, it's a Marzan. Huge fan of that style of horn. It's WELL under your budget and if it plays as well as it looks, it might be a real score. (And, with luck, you might find an F/Eb someplace and have a full stable in your junior year!)
Al Carter
Kitchener, Ontario
tyrell1111
bugler
bugler

Post by tyrell1111 »

Toobist wrote:You need to look at that Marzan at Grady instruments (mentioned above). http://www.merlingrady.com/forsale.html

The thing looks beautiful - and heck, it's a Marzan. Huge fan of that style of horn. It's WELL under your budget and if it plays as well as it looks, it might be a real score. (And, with luck, you might find an F/Eb someplace and have a full stable in your junior year!)
Funny story with that actually. I had visited there with another of my tuba section while trying out what they had in stock. We decided that I should take one back to my college to have a lesson on it and decide what to do. I ended up not getting that tuba, but this previously mentioned person in my section traded her Marzan for the tuba that I brought back with me.

TL;DR: that's my section mate's old horn.

It's a decent player, but I''m not a huge fan of the slant rotors and the low range is quite stuffy. I'd definitely be glad to answer some questions if you have any about it
4v BBb Martin Mammoth